We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st Time - long stay

Halifax, Canada
5 posts
Save Topic
1st Time - long stay

Items to bring?

My wife and I will be going to Roatan for 3 months, starting in February. It is our first time to Roatan and our first time staying anywhere for more than a few weeks. We have a condo in West End booked.

I am looking for a little advice and guidance around bringing things that we may need and are hard to get there or things that we just might not think to bring. Maybe a particular spice or handy gadget, I don’t know.

I know that is a pretty vague ask, but I am hoping a few people will trigger some things that we wouldn’t think of because we have not been there before.

Let me give a little more background as well; we are in our 50’s, we live in Canada, we have travelled before, we have been to a number of Central American countries but not Honduras. We like the beach, swimming and snorkeling so we will be bringing mask and fins.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

21 replies to this topic
Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
352 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st Time - long stay

Pretty much can get by with flip flops, tee shirt, bathing suite for most of the trip.

There is a small grocery store in West End that should take care of most of your needs. Have the cab driver stop at Eldons Supermarket in coxen hole on the way to the Condo znd they will have everything you need.

Bring cloth grocery bags. Plastic bags are bad and sometimes they don't carry.

LOTS ofbug spray, and use it. The no-see-ums (sand fly) and skeeters can be bad.

Pack an insulated cup. Big push to reduce plasic cups. Bars will fill your cup.

Bring unriped, torn US dollars (5's and 20's). They are accepted everywhere.

West end us great. Goid restaurants and bars within short walk.

I am jealous. Our next trip is not until April.

Think about getting SUBA certified (or try resort course at a min).

I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,714 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st Time - long stay

Flashlight, dark is a whole other animal on the island, makes for very good star watching.

ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
420 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st Time - long stay

Excellent advice above - I second their thoughts.

If you plan to cook and eat in on occasion then bring a good dicing or chopping knife (pack in checked luggage of course). We're foodies and like to stay in once in a while, have some wine and make a nice meal. Having that good sharp chopping knife from home has made life there easier. We premix spices and bring them with us for dishes we especially like to make there eg. curry, gumbo, blackened fish. Just easier. Though Eldon's carry's a good selection of spices.

Bring a comfy pair of walking shoes, like sneakers, in addition to flip flops.

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st Time - long stay

Also bring a foldie umbrella and a windbreaker/water repellant jacket. It COULD get cold, by Roatan standards, especially by the water. It was 23C on land and 26C in the water a couple of days ago. VERY cold for Roatan.

Enjoy your stay!

California
Level Contributor
3,003 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st Time - long stay

I always bring two good knives, small cutting board, and my old ready to toss skillet. Often the ones on the island are scratched badly. Everything rusts but your good knives will not. Everything else is at Eldon's or the other two big markets near it. As suggested, I would go their first and then you will be able to get what you need at the smaller store which by the way often has wonderful home made banana breads. Bring extra batteries for your flashlight.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
85 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st Time - long stay

You can buy most anything you might want at Eldon’s. My suggestion is (1) a iPad with your favorite music and (2) a few dozen movies you may want to watch downloaded to your laptop.

Meaford, Canada
Level Contributor
33 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st Time - long stay

If you like peanut butter that would be my suggestion. Your own snorkel equipment...you will use them daily. I'm envious. We are there late Feb/Mar for 2 weeks. Enjoy!

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
694 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st Time - long stay

Hate to be the party pooper but be sure to ask for a 90 day visa when you arrive at immigration on the island, and if you stay past those 90 days, the fine is not quite 4000 lempiras ($170.00 US) each for 1 - 30 days over. You may be able to get a 30 day extension on top of your 90 days, so be sure to ask. Nothing is written in stone and its at the immigration officers discretion.

Birmingham...
Level Contributor
366 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st Time - long stay

Hello. I am envious of the length of time you will be there. You can pretty much find anything you might need. A few suggestions candles, citronella incense sticks, LED nightlight, over the door hook(s), a huge carabiner so you can just clip all your snorkel stuff and go. Have the best time!!!

Halifax, Canada
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st Time - long stay

Great, thanks everyone for your info and tips, there are definitely things that I would not thought of. I will continue to check back to see if other things get added to the list.

Thanks for the tips.

Reply to: 1st Time - long stay
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Roatan
Recent Conversations