We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most accurate site for the weather forecast in Roatan?

Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Most accurate site for the weather forecast in Roatan?

I`m trying to see what the forecast is like for the next couple of weeks so I can book some activities and the sites I`ve found either don`t seem very accurate or all contradict themselves. Can any locals tell me what they use? Thank you!

6 replies to this topic
Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
2,243 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Most accurate site for the weather forecast in Roatan?

We look out the window each morning, There is no super secret accurate forecast for weeks out, we seldom need to book anything in the future that is weather related. Look at Accuweather and Weather Underground and choose the one you like then hope it is correct

Augusta
Level Contributor
508 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Most accurate site for the weather forecast in Roatan?

Hi Sylvia:

My experience is that weather forecasts for Roatan are rarely reliable. Weather on one side of the island can be completely different than on the other side of the island. Also, on my last trip the weather forecast showed rain every single day, and it did rain every day; some days for 10 minutes, some days for 20 minutes, some days it was a heavy downpour, some days it was a mist. 95% of the day was gorgeous.

As for booking activities, my advice would be to have a general idea of what you want to do while you are there and plan each day as it comes. More important than weather, check what cruise ships are in port. Days with lots of ships are great days to spend at the beach. Days with no cruise ships are great days to go zip lining, shopping, and on tours.

Have a great visit.

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Most accurate site for the weather forecast in Roatan?

For day to day things, I follow Roatan Weather on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/Roatán-Weather-1813572355567924/

But I think he/she lives in French Harbour or thereabouts, so the weather might be a bit different in the West. There's a big difference just between Eldon's in Coxen Hole and West End! lol When I go in December and January, I look east (towards Mangrove Bight) to see which clouds are coming. My nose for "showers coming soon" is getting pretty good. I can figure out when to bring in the laundry!

If you're going to book activities, do it after you get to the island and ask around (concierge or dive shop). They usually have a good hang of the weather for the next few days. If you're in West End, see if there are dive boats in Half Moon Bay. If they're gone, bad weather is coming -- at least in the West.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
189 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Most accurate site for the weather forecast in Roatan?

Best I've found is Windfinder, which seems to be what the most boat captains and dive shops use. windfinder.com/forecast/isla_de_roatan

Keep in mind a few things. First, the obvious....it's an island. Things change quickly and often from one part of the island to the other. Secondly....outside of 48 hours I'd only take this as a general direction at best. And maybe for general direction...i.e a major storm arriving later in the week. Within 48 hours...it's reasonably solid. And also keep in mind that the direction of the wind is a critical factor that you shouldn't overlook. Winds from the east=good for West End/West Bay. Winds from the north=rougher seas for those towns and a calmer south side. (The predominant winds are from the east, which leaves WB/WE protected and gives them the nice flat water you often see in photos)

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
649 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Most accurate site for the weather forecast in Roatan?

Windfinder is great to know where the wind will be coming from .great way to know a day or two in advance where the calm water will be. Boat captains use is...so if you do not see and boats in West Bay or west end at sunset you fan pretty much know a storm is coming before morning.

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Most accurate site for the weather forecast in Roatan?

There's another one -- wtforecast

Get it from your app store.

Pretty funny .... and accurate! LOL

Edited: 20 January 2018, 08:39
Reply to: Most accurate site for the weather forecast in Roatan?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Roatan
Recent Conversations