We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

East End - Punta Blanca/Punta Gorda or Jonesville??

winnipeg
Level Contributor
88 posts
6 reviews
East End - Punta Blanca/Punta Gorda or Jonesville??

Spending 2 weeks in Roatan, 1 week in West bay and second week wanting something different and secluded in the east end. Want to still do some diving, snorkeling and swimming but am very torn between north and south coast? Any suggestions? Am considering various waterfront self catering options all of which have awesome reviews (which makes the decision making even more difficult : (

18 replies to this topic
Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,765 posts
91 reviews
1. Re: East End - Punta Blanca/Punta Gorda or Jonesville??

Swimming and snorkeling becomes less attractive as you head east. Rough water and poor viz on both sides of the island. Some decent beaches at Paya Bay and Camp Bay. Shelf coral makes it hard to get in the water in places. To dive, of course, you need access to a dive shop. On the north side you can dive with Paya Bay or some shop close by. Not sure about Camp Bay. On the south side the last shop out is Royal Playa, if they are still in business, but I wouldn’t recommend them. Out east you have beach and tranquility, which you have gotten in exchange for all the water activities of the western parts of the island.

winnipeg
Level Contributor
88 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: East End - Punta Blanca/Punta Gorda or Jonesville??

So would you recomennd Camp Bay Or Jonesville?

I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,775 posts
25 reviews
3. Re: East End - Punta Blanca/Punta Gorda or Jonesville??

I have snorkeled two spots in Camp Bay, neither one were worth getting wet for.

I snorkeled almost daily for a week via boat with Paya Bay one year, again completely underwhelmed in comparison to the west end of the island.

I believe the best snorkeling is within the Roatan Marine Park which runs Sandy Bay to West Bay.

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
7,715 posts
4. Re: East End - Punta Blanca/Punta Gorda or Jonesville??

I've been wanting to go to Camp Bay -- for a couple of nights. Kite surfing is not my thing, nor is the wind. But a weekend getaway sounds tempting.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g29…

winnipeg
Level Contributor
88 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: East End - Punta Blanca/Punta Gorda or Jonesville??

Have you been to Jonesville. I am just wondering if we will be board for a week out at that end of the island and if anyone has been to both places what insight they could give me on where the better place to be for a week would be?

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,765 posts
91 reviews
6. Re: East End - Punta Blanca/Punta Gorda or Jonesville??

Ive never ever heard of Jonesville referred to as a place to stay. IS there anywhere to stay there? It’s a cool place to take a boat through. And keep going. If you want to absorb its atmosphere maybe you could stay on a boat.

My choice of resort in the area would be Paya Bay

Edited: 10 July 2018, 01:50
winnipeg
Level Contributor
88 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: East End - Punta Blanca/Punta Gorda or Jonesville??

We are not looking for the “Resort” type of vacation as we are doing that the first week and wanting to rent something more of a local vacation rental by owner.

Alberta
Level Contributor
1,166 posts
16 reviews
8. Re: East End - Punta Blanca/Punta Gorda or Jonesville??

I have been to Jonesville a couple of times, on day tours only. It's a neat little place, quaint and picturesque with all the stilted houses, near the mangroves. I googled and see there are a few private rentals plus the Reef House Resort looks interesting. Would I want to stay there, probably not. Maybe a couple nights but I think a whole week would be too much for me. I enjoy West End and West Bay so maybe Jonesville is a bit too rustic for me.

I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,775 posts
25 reviews
9. Re: East End - Punta Blanca/Punta Gorda or Jonesville??

Have you found any rentals in Jonesville which strike your fancy?

I have not stayed in Jonesville, if I wished to I would check the reviews of the places that caught my eye.

If you like post links to the rentals you are considering here. We will certainly give you our opinions.

Dallas
Level Contributor
187 posts
42 reviews
10. Re: East End - Punta Blanca/Punta Gorda or Jonesville??

Off topic, from the OP, but related in geography...Is this near Old Port Royal where legend has it, Pirate Henry Morgan buried treasure from his raid on Portobello,Panama? A story goes that in the 20's, two men discovered 4 chests and managed to escape to Belize City (British Honduras), with 3 chests remaining. One man allegedly returned to England with his share, worth 6 million $(today's value). This area would be an interesting place to explore, at the least. Here is a link I found about the legend.https://wander.media/chasing-roatan-island-pirate-treasure

Reply to: East End - Punta Blanca/Punta Gorda or Jonesville??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Roatan
Recent Conversations