We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Roatan safe?

Sandy, Utah
Level Contributor
27 posts
89 reviews
Is Roatan safe?

We are considering a trip to Roatan but have read that Honduras(Roatan included) is not safe.

Is it true you cannot walk on the beach at night or even alone and that a toddler was kidnapped? Or is this just BS?

toronto
Level Contributor
173 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: Is Roatan safe?

The island of Roatan is quite different from the cities of mainland Honduras. You will be in a place that depends almost entirely on tourism for its income and so tourists are very safe.If you are staying in west bay you can safely walk the beach at any time.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
2. Re: Is Roatan safe?

Kidnapped toddler? Jeezy peezy...where do these horror stories come from?

I never felt unsafe on Roatan. Parts of D.C. give me the heebie jeebies more than I ever found down there.

dallas
Level Contributor
29 posts
3. Re: Is Roatan safe?

West bay west end and the beaches are safer than almost anywhere in the u. s. Still be smart dont go to Coxen hole after dark, and dont walk around with alot of gold around your neck. Roatan is one of the safest island in the world.

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
4. Re: Is Roatan safe?

We just returned from Roatan on Sunday, and we never felt unsafe. The local love tourist, it is their mainstay. You are treated like royalty. While we were there some of the locals staged a protest and blocked some roads, because they were tired of the high prices of electricity. But they were friendly protests and we never felt unsafe.

We stayed at the Mayan Princess Resort and loved it. The resort in on West Bay, one of the prettiest beaches in the world.

Every night we took walks on the beach and were perfectly safe.

Enjoy

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
5. Re: Is Roatan safe?

We were in Roatan last April and stayed at the Henry Morgan resort in West Bay. We had an absolutely fabulous time and like the others, never felt unsafe. The hubby and I walked into West End on a few different occassions (about a 30 min walk along the beach) passing several locals along the way and never felt threatend. It was actually great to get away from the resort, to sample the local fare and take in some of the culture of the island. We loved Roatan and cannot wait to return!

6. Re: Is Roatan safe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 June 2009, 16:40
roatan
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
7. Re: Is Roatan safe?

Hi, I am an Canadian living on Roatan. I feel it is like anywhere else you'd travel. Be smart, be aware of your surroundings and you'll be just fine.

I have never in the years I've lived here been in any compromising situations that has left me in fear and I live in a not-so-sheltered part of Roatan.

Come and enjoy all the beauty and hospitality our little island has to offer. You're sure to return again and again!

Kitchener, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: Is Roatan safe?

Roatangurl:

We are considering coming in January. How is the weather then? (Temperature, rain, humidity)

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
45,996 posts
9. Re: Is Roatan safe?

Roatangurl: what part of Canada

Loved Roatan for 2 weeks last April and definately thinking about a return visit in May. Felt safe in Sandy Bay , West End, and West Bay.

Would visit the other places day time only

To answer the other ?, weather in January is NOT favourable

Nov - Feb is the wet season

Atlanta
1 post
1 review
10. Re: Is Roatan safe?

If you stay on the west end with all the other gringos, you'll pretty much feel like you're in Florida. So as long as you think Florida's safe, Roatan shouldn't bother you too much.

Get answers to your questions about Roatan