We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

And so.....it gets Paved!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,709 posts
70 reviews
And so.....it gets Paved!

…fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/553782_1015094574…

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,709 posts
70 reviews
1. Re: And so.....it gets Paved!

Sundowners on the left...Chillies on the right...I liked that little dirt rd. I suppose it will cut down on dust in dry season/ mud in rainy season.....

roatan
Level Contributor
287 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: And so.....it gets Paved!

We're pretty happy with it so far at Cocolobo. No more sprained ankles and mud up to our necks in rainy season. I think it'll get covered in sand anyway so will look the same as before.

Happy Trails

Bonnie

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,749 posts
91 reviews
3. Re: And so.....it gets Paved!

wait, wait, who approved this? I sorta liked the old road, at least the flat part south of Lands End. It drained fairly well and was comfortable to walk on bare foot. It healed rapidly after they dug it up. At least it look like they're putting some steel in it so it might last a while. They sure have put a lot of work into this project.

NJ
Level Contributor
256 posts
9 reviews
4. Re: And so.....it gets Paved!

I have to admit, as much as I liked the "charm" of the dirt road - this will allow me to have just one more drink at Sundowners so I can be a little more carefree walking down that road to our car - I am pretty happy about this!! :)

Michigan
Level Contributor
111 posts
25 reviews
5. Re: And so.....it gets Paved!

Wow, such a big change.

I must say, it's nice to see the workers wearing appropriate footwear. In February the workers were sporting flip-flops or just bare feet.

roatan
Level Contributor
287 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: And so.....it gets Paved!

Different company doing the concrete Jilcha.

These guys have been great. Courteous, aware of safety and diligent in their work. Lovely change ;)

Cheers to less muddy feet!

Bonnie

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,663 posts
27 reviews
7. Re: And so.....it gets Paved!

I liked the dirt road...but Roatan is in development mode...will be interesting to see what it is like in ten years????

Westborough...
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: And so.....it gets Paved!

How is the other end coming, heading down toward the church?

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
496 posts
9. Re: And so.....it gets Paved!

Its funny how most in favor of the dirt road are temporary visitors and most locals would prefer some type of quality paving and drainage, be it stone pavers, concrete, stamped concrete or other. Many talk about liking to walk barefoot yet pretty much all locals given the choice will almost always choose to wear footwear, They all see the dogs doing their business and have dealt with the worms and parasites that abound in the muddy road yet they do not simply head home and pay a doctor to fix them. Just think of the fecal matter in that mud squishing between the toes next time you want to walk barefoot in it

Edited: 16 July 2012, 11:51
Canada
Level Contributor
621 posts
20 reviews
10. Re: And so.....it gets Paved!

I agree totally with Manuel (did I just say that?). Those that talk about the "charm" of West End road didn't have to navigate in the mud to their home or place of business trying to get goods in or out. Why is it that visitors want to keep things the "way they were" ...does anyone think that maybe the locals would like a little progress on their Island. The ones that are my friends sure do.

Get answers to your questions about Roatan