We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this a good time to visit?

Which Roatan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
houston, tx
Level Contributor
61 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Is this a good time to visit?

Was considering the last 2 weeks of September for a visit to Roatan. I'm concerned there may be rain then and mess up the water visibility. Does anyone know from past experience? thanks!

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,664 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this a good time to visit?

Rainy season usually starts in October. August & september usually have the best viz of the year & the water is around 85f.

houston, tx
Level Contributor
61 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this a good time to visit?

Thanks, that really helps! Now, I'm narrowing it down to Las Rocas or Splash Inn. Can't decide on which location for easy beach days, snorkeling, with walking access to restaurants. Any suggestions?

I wander the world
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this a good time to visit?

Splash in is in West End...there will be some noise and the beach is not great.

Las Rocas is very very close to West Bay. It will be a bit more quiet and West Bay is the premiere beach on the island.

I would choose Las Rocas for the quiet.

houston, tx
Level Contributor
61 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this a good time to visit?

Thanks so much! I was leaning toward Las Rocas, but wasn't sure. We have 14 nights. Now, I'm not sure if we should spend them all in one place, or should spend a week in one place and a week somewhere else? I want to avoid the cruise ship crowds---I found that the cruise ships are on the island the 19, 20, 26, 27. Is there a place where we could go for those days to avoid the crowds? Any advice would help - many thanks in advance!!!!

I wander the world
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this a good time to visit?

I doubt in Sept you will much notice the crowds of cruise people but if you wish to stay in another place, Sandy Bay has a less than great beach, snorkeling the reef is more of a challenge do to the distance from the shore. The only cruise people you will see are going to be a horse back.

Cocolobo and Lands End are in West End but enough distance from town it is quite but the only beach (Half Moon Bay) is in town and you will feel it.

If you can deal with only one food option you can go to Camp Bay or Paya Bay.

Hmm, the road construction in West End may still be a factor in Sept as well... might keep an eye on that.

Morehead, Kentucky
Level Contributor
45 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is this a good time to visit?

Go To Smuggler's Restaurant...it's on a cove and lovely small beach right over the hill from West Bay. Easy access snorkeling and gorgeous. Great food. Nice hosts.

I also recommend visiting Paya Bay for a day if you have a car. Make sure to go up into the resort so that you can see where you've landed. It's astounding out there. Long drive. An adventure. Worth it.

Morehead, Kentucky
Level Contributor
45 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is this a good time to visit?

Oh...and if you haven't booked yet, I really wish that my husband and I had ended our two week trip at Paya Bay for a few nights after we had seen a lot elsewhere...check out my honeymoon trip report for other tips/experiences and more details. I also just reviewed Paya Bay.

Moses Lake...
Level Contributor
155 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is this a good time to visit?

Everyone says that the swim to the reef in Sandy Bay is quite a distance. Yes there is eel grass but if you get in the water from most of the docks it is not that long of a swim. Off of Sundancer dock you even have the channel to swim through so you can be on the outside of the reef. We have seen many creatures up close to the dock also. Small coral just off the dock has an eel that lives there, we have even seen a seahorse right under the dock. The beach may not be bright white but it is kept clean and is great walking all the way to Anthony's Keys. So don't discount this area just because of the eel grass in the water. Beautiful and no cruisers.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
4,755 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is this a good time to visit?

we were there for 2 weeks at the end of last September and it rained every night. Boy, did it ever. Great thunder and lightening shows, but impossible to sleep through. During the day not so much. But some days some of the dive sites had really bad viz, while at other it was fine. I heard than one shop in West End actually scrubbed diving one day due to universally bad conditions. The snorkeling was still ok. So that's what you could be facing. I'm not aware that there were large passing storms, just a lot of rain. If late September isn't considered the rainy season, I'd hate to see what is. The water was 84 degrees.

Neither Splash or Las Rocas has a beach, I guess you already know. Splash has docks across the road but lots of boat traffic so no easy water access. You don't ever see snorkelers off those docks. Rocas as the name suggests sits on rocks, but you can use the condo's little beach next door, or again grab a chair on the deck. I panned Rocas years ago for inexcusably bad service but I guess and hope things can change. I would not select the AI at Rocas because there are so many better restaurants.

If you are going for 2 weeks I would definitely split the stay between 2 places. Roatan has lots of isolated little resorts but probably more expensiv than Splash and Rocas.

10. Re: Is this a good time to visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2013, 01:16