We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honest feedback on Roatan safety

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
1 helpful vote
Honest feedback on Roatan safety

Hi - Visiting Roatan soon and staying at Paya Bay - Heard Paya Bay is great but it is very remote and that part of Roatan is dangerous. Heard some issues lately with armed robberies. There was a tripadvisor review posted yesterday claiming armed men attacked a couple leaving Paya Bay. Would appreciate honest feedback from travellers to Roatan - I know the expats who live there want to maintain Roatan as a safe destination so may be a little biased in responding. Asking for genuine and honest feedback plus safety tips other than the norm (not going out at night, no jewelry, limited cash etc.). I am pretty worried and thats not the state you want to be in on vacation!

Edited: 07 April 2015, 11:00
76 replies to this topic
Paoli
Level Contributor
25 posts
8 reviews
7 helpful votes
1. Re: Honest feedback on Roatan safety

I have been to Paya Bay as a week long guest and returning in May. Never did I feel unsafe. Actually felt the opposite!! The owners believe in peace and serenity. I am finding that review very hard to believe and feel it was a bogus post or the people had some underlying problem.

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
6,913 posts
14 reviews
5 helpful votes
2. Re: Honest feedback on Roatan safety

If you type safety into the search box you will pull up tons of info about safety on the island (not specific to Paya Bay though) and safety tips. Unfortunately you will see a lot of deletions, TA tends to censor a lot of posts dealing with safety on Roatan.

USA
Level Contributor
109 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Honest feedback on Roatan safety

It's not like that's commonplace, but I wouldn't say it's impossible and the local police aren't exactly going to publicize things. That said, two pickups full of armed men? That would turn a few heads if they were sitting there waiting for you. Also, that's a lot of people to rob one couple. If you were going to do that, why would you want to split that bounty 10 ways?

Is Roatan safe? Generally and if you follow basic rules. Carjackings aren't common. It's an island so people can't run that far and that it's an island it's shielded from the violence on the mainland. Don't show wealth. Don't go walking down beaches at night. Don't walk alone at night. Use basic common sense and you'll be fine. Don't go to Coxen Hole at night. Go wandering down a dark beach at night with fancy shoes, a rolex, etc, and you'll get mugged.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
1 helpful vote
4. Re: Honest feedback on Roatan safety

Thank you everyone, this is some good info.

I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,897 posts
25 reviews
24 helpful votes
5. Re: Honest feedback on Roatan safety

Even if you do all the dos and don't do any of the don'ts you could still get stopped and robbed or worse. No one can tell you a horrible thing will not happen cause you maybe the very one in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Anyone who believes the forum is the end and an be all just cause honesty was asked for has no business going to a third world county where most of the people are desperate to feed their families.

Take full and complete responsibility for own actions and safety cause the c.ops are not going to be the least bit of help.

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
6,913 posts
14 reviews
5 helpful votes
6. Re: Honest feedback on Roatan safety

Well said Nomadic and very true...

OP, I should have mentioned earlier if you click on the link regarding safety in the upper right hand corner of this screen you will have access to valuable information.

Edited: 07 April 2015, 14:39
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,663 posts
27 reviews
115 helpful votes
7. Re: Honest feedback on Roatan safety

I think you should still look forward to your holiday with happy anticipation. It is true that Paya Bay is off the beaten path and the road to it is not well traveled. So statistically you probably do have a higher chance of getting robbed on the road to Paya Bay in a rental car than if you were getting a ride from a local driver in between tourist areas of West Bay and West End. That doesn't mean you are going to get robbed. Point being if you are leaving the Paya resort hire a local driver rather than renting your own car then you won't have to worry so much.

If you want to find out more about the incident why don't you private message the person who wrote it and ask for more details. I wonder if they'll write back to you? If their review is bogus or serving some sort of private agenda they most likely won't even answer your private message. In their review it says that they stayed at the resort in December 2014 ...how is it that they are now just writing about it....seems odd...and they just have this one post...

You should exercise caution where ever you are in Roatan but especially when you are off the beaten tourist path...which you will be en route to Paya Bay.

Toronto
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
8. Re: Honest feedback on Roatan safety

I just read in the Toronto Star about a Canadian couple from Calgary who transferred a boat from Belize to Roatan to go on an adventure and who got robbed by pirates.

They stole their money ($3.000) and other values and left them stranded in a remote place.

They had to drink rainwater.

They were found by some hikers.

Yesterday I also read the testimony (finally) from the man who was on a cruise ship and who was assaulted as well as his family.The one who rented a car and who was attacked having shots fired at his car!

Someone mentioned here several months ago that they didn't believe that story.

The man even has his picture with his testimony!

I admire those who come here and tell the real truth!

I too had sent money to Roatan as a down payment but I couldn't picture my adult children going there and being told not to take their IPads, not to use their cellphones, not to take jewellery, not to go here not to go there, etc...

We just went to Hawaii with my son and he has been there many times.He rents a car or a scooter and he goes everywhere.Then he takes a plane and he visits the other islands.

I'm sure that if he would go to Roatan he would like to visit the whole island instead of being confined to a resort!

I hope that things change there for the best and everywhere!

thestar.com/news/canada/2015/04/11/pirates-r…

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
2,293 posts
3 reviews
2 helpful votes
9. Re: Honest feedback on Roatan safety

That story you read about the pirates was on the mainland around Punta Sal, a well known bad spot and any captain should know to stay away from. They should be just as upset with their hired captains choices as well as their lack of research Bad things happen everywhere and while there is certainly a fair share of local Roatan crime, an incident such as this play little to no role in Roatan Safety. A know bad area they, as wealthy travelers chose to go to. Kind of like driving the back alleys of some Chicago area at night in the Ferrari and the wife seated next to you. And lets not forget in the same article you mention where the couple mentioned "I can't say enough about how the Honduran people helped us," Reinholdt said. "Everyone was so friendly."

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
2,293 posts
3 reviews
2 helpful votes
10. Re: Honest feedback on Roatan safety

Granted these folks are Canadian and I do not know if theCanadian equivalent of the US state department has any like warings but this is what the State department has to say about that area "Incidents of piracy off the coast of Honduras can occur. In 2012, a U.S. citizen reported that his boat was boarded and his passengers were the victims of an armed robbery while sailing in Honduran waters near Puerto Cortes, three miles north of Punta Sal. In 2011, a Canadian citizen was killed in a similar incident. U.S. citizens should exercise caution while sailing or mooring in Honduran waters.""

Seems like a place to avoid

Reply to: Honest feedback on Roatan safety
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Roatan