We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Side trips and happy hour

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Long Island
Level Contributor
82 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Side trips and happy hour

Few unrelated questions - have never been to Athens before. Will be there for 5 days mid Feb. 1) Any suggestions for day trips? Is Atlanta easy to negotiate by car?

2) Any recommendations for good 'happy hours' or good restaurant deals, prixe fix, early bird, etc.

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
450 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Side trips and happy hour

Atlanta or Madison would be good day trips from Athens. Atlanta rush hours are not something you'd want to experience. If you timed your arrival and departure, you could avoid them. Not sure about what you want to do in Atlanta once you are here...there is a lot of information here on TripAdvisor to help you plan. The Aquarium is outstanding. Madison is a beautiful Southern City worth a visit.

I would check the UGA student newspaper for food deals. If you have a GPS it would be helpful as well.

Long Island
Level Contributor
82 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Side trips and happy hour

Thanks for all the information - will definitely check out Atlanta on TA for more info and Madison sounds lovely. We do have a gps, so that will be a big help finding different destinations.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
561 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Side trips and happy hour

I agree, Atlanta and Madison would both be great. I suggest timing your arrival in Atlanta for 9:30 or 10 a.m. and staying in town for dinner - that way you should miss the bad traffic. Check the Atlanta forum for restaurant ideas. You definitely will want your GPS. I'm an Atlanta native and I still get lost there.

As for early bird specials, etc.: Since Athens is home to the University of Georgia, it's geared toward students on a budget. So you should be able to find reasonably priced food and drinks regardless...just choose restaurants and bars carefully to avoid getting trampled by students. :-) For dinner, try Five and Ten, which stacks up to the best restaurants anywhere. Other good choices are The Grit (vegetarian), Farm 255 (locally sourced), and La Dolce Vita (Italian). For drinks, The Globe tends to draw fewer college kids and more adults. Or try the bar at the Hotel Indigo - new, sleek and sophisticated. And if you're looking for a good breakfast, Mama's Boy is fantastic.

Long Island
Level Contributor
82 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Side trips and happy hour

Thanks so much for all the tips - we are having second thoughts on Atlanta, but will definitely visit Madison. Your restaurant suggestions sound great. We are not looking for fine dining, but for good local and ethnic food. Appreciate your suggestions, will check them out.

5. Re: Side trips and happy hour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2014, 04:18
Get answers to your questions about Athens