We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

'Two Steps' and Keoneele Cove

Lexington, South...
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
1 review
Save Topic
'Two Steps' and Keoneele Cove

Aren't these one and the same at Honaunau?

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 'Two Steps' and Keoneele Cove

JC.........this is if anything a "local" non official name. My maps show no official name.

The official. on the map, name is" Honaunau Bay.

technicaly each little dent in every bay could be called a cove....

It is confusing to visitors to try to find such un-documented places. I think it is more productive to use geographic designation of a named place. IE; the north east shore of the bay. Or/ the sandy cove on the south margin of the bay.

Lexington, South...
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 'Two Steps' and Keoneele Cove

Thanks Dan. You make an excellent point.

I think "Two Step" is just north of the boat ramp looking at photos; which makes it north of the cove. Was just trying to pinpoint it on a map and couldn't figure it out until I started looking at photos alongside. Just making sure I have all my "ducks" in a row.

Thanks again.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 'Two Steps' and Keoneele Cove

JC....going from south to north here is the layout

The south shore, which gets the full brunt of the currents is all national park and offers no swimming entry...This runs east to a little sandy beach, where the park service reserves for turtles only. This sandy stretch is the on-shore extention of a deep channel seperating to parts of the reef here..it offers spectacular snorkeling but can be extremely surgy. The best display of coral can be found along this channel.

Next along the bay, heading north, will be the lava wall called 2 step, just outside the park. and it drops off into 15 to 20 ft in "2 steps.

Continuing north we come to the boat ramp next to some locals homes. This is the safest entry as the surge and currents are all confined to the south south west. This entru gores into deep water fast on the north side of the main reef. and is used by shore divers. an "aloha" in bricks is set on the bottom... North of it the bottom drops to 30 then 50 ft

Continuing north the lava walls to the bay become more sheer and drop into 30 ft with little coral

Moving seward along this wall gets more and more surge and swell....to the extent than frequently locals get washed away while fishing.

Mornings and slack tide is the best time to visit this bay. Afternoon surface winds sucked inland by the mass on mauna loa and rising afternoon temps make this spot not a good choice after 12 noon. Or in SW and W winter swells.

This beach is very poular...and the coral so deep that you cant stand on it. Turtles use it as a cleaning station and rest stop. It is nor a place for children because of the radical changes in current and the entry and exit. There are no facilities.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
12,992 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 'Two Steps' and Keoneele Cove

Isn't that the name of the cove that is the royal canoe landing? That is nowhere near the Two Steps--the steps are on the lava shelf past the boat ramp area. And it is really more respectful NOT to enter from land to snorkle from there.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
12,992 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 'Two Steps' and Keoneele Cove

If you look at the area as a squared-off "U" with a wide base, then the left side of the U is the park area, with Keoneele Cove inset there. If is clearly marked on the Park maps. Around the left bottom corner of the U is a school and some houses. Then more toward the center of the U is the cement boat launch and a small sandy area. Middle of the base of the U are the steps. Then along the rest of the base and the right side is a wall and more houses.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 'Two Steps' and Keoneele Cove

the problem with the map the NPS made..is it is derived from historic names, not shown or known outside the native population and students of history and anthropology..

Its to me like describing a whale as a "grey whale" as opposed to its genius,species, phylum and order..in latin While being more accurate, it thwarts thoes wanting to see the whale...

sometimes less is better and visitors already are overwhelmed by many hawiian names...( say I wnat to get to this beach...its starts with a K.... oh yea no problem...) need to start simply and grow into the names like Hounu has so well done...

Lexington, South...
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 'Two Steps' and Keoneele Cove

Thanks Honu, that's what I was thinking after the photos.

I am fairly positive (I'll check again) that Keoneele is right alongside the boat ramp and is NOT the canoe landing (which is closer to the heiau).

So if I understand now, "Two Step" is above the boat ramp, heading AWAY from the heiau. If you came from the parking area, the heiau would be on your left and "Two Step' on your right (before the houses against the wall), the boat ramp and what I believe is Keoneele Cove would be directly in front of you.

Thanks all.

Lexington, South...
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: 'Two Steps' and Keoneele Cove

Honu/Dan... is this correct?

hawaii-guide.com/tripadvisor/Honaunau_Map.jpg

Thanks again, I really appreciate the help.

Lexington, South...
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: 'Two Steps' and Keoneele Cove

You were right Honu, I was mistaken. Keoneele Cove IS the Royal landing.

…nps.gov/views/Sites/PUHO/HTML/03_RG08.htm

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
12,992 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 'Two Steps' and Keoneele Cove

JC with respect to your map, I have doubts about the yellow dashed line you show going from the park to the lava shelf area. I think there is NO straight shot from the park to the lava shelf or boat launch without leaving the park. There are houses and a school. I think if you went along the shore you'd be cutting thru their property. "Beach access" aside, why would people want to do that when it is not that far to go on the road...if you can't manage the extra distance on the paved road you are gonna have some problemas getting back out on that step...:-(

What we do is walk out of the NPS parking lot, past the guard shack and go along the big paved road, PAST one (or maybe two?) little roads that are private driveways for the houses and school. Then there is a turnoff where you go left and down to the shoreline road that goes to Napoopoo. The yellow line would cut thru buildings, I think.

Also, what is the cut-through road on 169 loop supposed to be? If it is there, it sure is not readily apparent and I am not sure I have ever seen it.

Look here at http://hawaiianimages.net for Honaunau0033 and Honaunau0023 to see photos

You see a little sand trail but I am not sure it's the appropriate route for tourists to tread to get to the lava shelf. I think it runs thru or very close to the houses and school buildings and yards.

You can also see why the boat launch is iffy for a swimmer--threading way thru rock is not clear from surface without local knowledge.