We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big Island

ny
Level Contributor
12 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Big Island

First time to Hawaii- (no kids!) and staying on the BIg Island. Can anyone advise as to the MUST DOs there. There are so many websites, but we want advice from experienced travelers, not companies. Thanks all!

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,524 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Big Island

It really all depends on what your likes and dislikes are. There are literally hundreds and hundreds of "must do's" or "could do's" and without knowinh your tastes it would be very hard to come up with a list for you.

Please give us a hand here, what sorts of things are you interested in? It might also help to know where you are staying and your budget for activites.

The Big Island offers everything from snow sking (if you are brave) to just vegging on the beach all day.....

Edited: 12 May 2010, 09:51
ny
Level Contributor
12 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Big Island

Thanks- forgot to mention that. I like beach, the husband wants to fish. Any advice about a good outfit to go with for deep sea fishing? Also, reading on other forums that weather in Kailua (which is where we are staying) is not all that great? Like I said, first timers to the islands and have no clue what to expect.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,524 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Big Island

Are you staying in Kailua on Oahu or Kailua Kona on the Big Island? It can get confusing as many of the city names are shared by multiple islands.

At any rate I can't help with a charter fishing question as I have never taken one but as soon as we find out which Island you will be on I am sure another poster can help with that.

ny
Level Contributor
12 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Big Island

Sorry! did not know that there were two places of the same name. Kailua-Kona

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,524 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Big Island

No problem, it happens a lot.

Ok from Kona you will probably want to visit the Place of Refuge National Park. If you want to visit the Volcano National Park it will be a 3 hour or so drive. You could tour a coffee farm. A snorkel excusion is always something to do. You can do a night Manta Ray viewing.

Forgot to ask, how many days were you planning on staying?

I am sure other posters will give you some ideas of things to do....

ny
Level Contributor
12 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Big Island

Outstanding! Thank you. This is a great start. We are staying for 7 days, the last week of June at a time share exchange. Then we plan to hop over to Oahu for 4 days. We have to book a place there still. We figured that we had better do it now as we don't know if/when we will ever get back.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Big Island

there are no must do's.....thats your personal wants. budget and agility.

You have to determine those....any attempte by others will produce what was best for them...maybe not you

I would suggest that you search the topics there are reams written. Your question is way to broad to even be approached. Try A good travel guide and a map

Glad to know that the weather here in kona is bad..... If this is bad I wonder what good looks like !!! of course I have only lived here for 10 years.....

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Big Island

Here's a good place to start thinking about the Big Island

www.alternative-hawaii.com/byotgdxb.htm

Before you book anything first go to Barnes Noble and pick out a good guide to the Big Island and read the whole thing thru.

Some of my basic rules of thumb:

-Best beaches are Waikoloa area (the dry area).

-Some of best gardens, water falls, on the Hilo side (the wet area)

-Allow at least 10 days minimum to see the whole island

-Plan on two nights in Volcano in the middle of your stay will allow you to loop the island in a liesurely fashion.

-Big Islands not that good for night life. If so spend more time in Oahu

As far as activities check out the 101 Things to do site & grab a brochure when you land at the airport baggage claim area (tons of things to do):

101thingstodo.com/hawaii/bigisland/index.php

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Big Island

I don't think starting with "alternative" is a good idea for your first trip to Hawaii, a "conventional" method is much more appropriate.

Altoona, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
21 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Big Island

You will so enjoy the big island! The only must do in my book is to relax and don't overbook your days. Plan to spend time to sit on a nice beach, walk through Kailua, Hawi, and Waimea, enjoy your family in this most beautiful place. We enjoyed the drive from Kailua-Kona through Waimea and along the ocean on Highway 19. Plan to stop at the tsunami memorial at Laupahoehoe Town, Umauma Falls, the botannical garden and Akaka Falls ending the drive in Hilo for an early supper at the Cafe 100 for loco mocos or Ken's House of Pancakes! It was our favorite day-start early so you can get back 'home' not too late because it is a 2 hour drive without stops coming back! Have fun!