We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

looking for a mild hawaiian coffee

high desert
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Topic
looking for a mild hawaiian coffee

I always order on line from Hawaii my coffee. Right now I"m drinking Lions 100% kona. I've searched on line and not finding much info. I'm looking for the most mild, low acidic hawaiian coffee. Is Kona just that?? OR is there another one that would be more mild? Thanks for any help.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,256 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: looking for a mild hawaiian coffee

Kauai Coffee is much milder. I personally prefer a more robust, stronger coffee so I drink either 100% Kona or Costa Rican coffee. I think you would really like Kauai Coffee.

http://www.kauaicoffee.com/

Connecticut
Level Contributor
561 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: looking for a mild hawaiian coffee

If you have a Trader Joe's near you, they sell Kauai and Kona coffee. I am in the northeast and they have stores there. I think they also have them in CA.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
12,816 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: looking for a mild hawaiian coffee

See how you like one with a MEDIUM roast. I like Bayview Farms. I don't like the Starbucksization where everybody thinks they are supposed to be roasted black.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,237 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: looking for a mild hawaiian coffee

Generally speaking...

The higher in elevation coffee is grown the richer the flavor and more acidic.

Kauai, Molokai and Maui coffees are cultivated at lower elevations (on average) then are trees in Kona and some other BI locales.

Of course, the roasting technique also has much to do with it, as pointed out by Honu.

In addition to the Kauai Coffee Site, you might also want to check out:

http://www.mauicoffeeco.com/

and

www.molokaicoffee.com/cart/shopcore/…

Canada
Level Contributor
1,844 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: looking for a mild hawaiian coffee

Second vote for Trader Joe's 100% Kauai coffee--medium roast. Better (for me) than the Kauai coffee I purchased on Kauai.

I only have 3 cans left--time for a Seattle road trip.

See traderjoes.com; maybe there is a location near you. They are in WA as well as CA and a number of other states. AZ has them as well. MN also. They are not in FL, unfortunately.

Sequim, Washington
Level Contributor
391 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: looking for a mild hawaiian coffee

Try Lappert's Kauai Pie coffee.

It has macadamia nut, chocolate, and coconut natural flavors in a medium roast coffee. It's good.

Molokai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,120 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: looking for a mild hawaiian coffee

moloka'i malulani coffee is mild, medium roast while muleskinner is french roast, darker, stronger flavor. also note the subtle taste of the coffees from the different hawaiian islands. there was an article about it long ago in the star bulletin, comparing these tastes. one island, i believe it was kaua'i, had a cinnamon taste, moloka'i coffee was described as "chocolatey". i wished i had kept that article. the over-all best was the moloka'i coffee by the judges. this surprised me because the cost of the moloka'i coffee was lower than the kona, but prices now have come up.

high desert
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: looking for a mild hawaiian coffee

I emailed a couple of coffee plantations - the Kauai one for one. We've been there twice and really enjoyed the place.

She told me the exact same thing... lower elevation makes for a more mild, low acid coffee. I ordered some Kauai coffee. Can't wait to try it. My stomach is just so sensitive to different coffee's. I'm having a bit of an issue with my current 100% Kona coffee so I wanted to try something a bit more mild. Thanks for all the help and info :)

Generally speaking...

The higher in elevation coffee is grown the richer the flavor and more acidic.

Kauai, Molokai and Maui coffees are cultivated at lower elevations (on average) then are trees in Kona and some other BI locales.

Coos Bay, Oregon
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: looking for a mild hawaiian coffee

We tried three different Hawaiian brands on our recent trip to Kauai. Our favorite by far is from the Kauai Coffee Company, www.kauaicoffee.com. My personal favorite is the Estate Roasted Kauai Red Catuai, which is a medium roast according to them, but I would put it on the lighter side compared to most out there. You should visit there, it's a really neat place! I don't like overroasted coffees like Starbucks, and have been drinking Illy for years, but Kauai Coffee Company's coffees are better. We're going to start ordering home delivery from them when our Illy commitment expires.

high desert
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: looking for a mild hawaiian coffee

yeah, I can't stand starbucks coffee - way too strong and yucky. I wish we would have tried the coffee's when we visited the Kauai coffee co. last year. I wasn't in coffee drinking mood when we were there.

But I did order from them now.