We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hawaii Discount legit?

Norman, OK
Level Contributor
83 posts
12 reviews
Hawaii Discount legit?

I've been researching fun activities in Kauai, and I came across the website www.hawaiidiscount.com. Is this site legit and recommended? Are there any other websites I should try? Thanks.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
12 reviews
1. Re: Hawaii Discount legit?

never booked through that one although I'm sure it is ok.

I have used this one before: http://www.hawaiidiscountactivities.com/

Sylvania, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
24 reviews
2. Re: Hawaii Discount legit?

You may be able to do a search here for that subject. I think I've seen posts in the past.

I usually book direct with the provider of the activity.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,590 posts
117 reviews
3. Re: Hawaii Discount legit?

Never used that particular company, but we've booked with these people several times with no problems at all:

www.hawaiiwebdesign.com/kauai_activities.htm

Key West
Level Contributor
17 posts
4. Re: Hawaii Discount legit?

I personally have used www.bestonhawaii.com. They were extremely helpfully. Would def recommend them.

hth

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,917 posts
1 review
5. Re: Hawaii Discount legit?

Many activity operators give you a discount for booking directly with THEM, or directly on their own website. Captain Andy's is one example only.

Personally I think it's better booking directly. Far less hassle in the case of having to cancel or rebook. Remember, when you use an intermediary, the tour company is expecting THEM to deal with you in the case of any problems or questions.

Also, make sure that the ones you're dealing with aren't requiring a timeshare presentation.

It's slow enough right now on Kauai and when that happens it's better to wait until there to decide what you want to do and if the current weather conditions will agree with you.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,590 posts
117 reviews
6. Re: Hawaii Discount legit?

Napa,

That is true with many companies, but there are definitely some, like Princeville Adventures, that do not offer discounts if you book directly with them. In fact, when I called them and tried to get the same discount offered through the website I mentioned, they actually encouraged me to go ahead and book with the discount website. But I agree that it would be best to check directly with the company to see if they will offer you a discount.

Depending on the time of year and activity, it is still a good idea to book ahead of time, even with tourism down a bit. In the summer, activities like boat tours and ziplines still book up weeks, or even months in advance.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,917 posts
1 review
7. Re: Hawaii Discount legit?

"Depending on the time of year and activity, it is still a good idea to book ahead of time, even with tourism down a bit. In the summer, activities like boat tours and ziplines still book up weeks, or even months in advance.

"

DesertBeachLover, I don't fully agree on this point. It all depends on the season and the activity. Also, on how long one will be on-island. I've heard too many horror stories of people booking in advance, arriving to find awful weather and having problems with refunds. I've heard from folks here who have said they were unable to discuss cancellations or weather issues with the tour operator when they booked through an intermediary.

Yes, some do / some don't give discounts for booking directly. It's all a matter of choice. I personally prefer to book direct and have a straighter line of communication.

I'll grant that a Napali boat tour in the summer should probably be booked in advance, if one is there for only a short time. But then one needs to be watching the clock to meet their cancellation deadline policies.

Thornton, New...
Level Contributor
987 posts
176 reviews
8. Re: Hawaii Discount legit?

Sofia,

I am in the process of corresponding with them regarding tix for Smith's Luau (with 17 of us going, the savings are substantial). Their prices can't be beat by anything I've seen, including the others mentioned in this thread. I'd posted a similar request for feedback on the forum awhile back, but received no response. I did do some research - they are not members of the BBB in Hawaii, and are based out of the Carolinas (sorry, can't remember North or South). There are no complaints registered with the BBB in their home state for the past three years.

I did e-mail Smith's to ask if they would honor the tickets sold by Hawaii Discount, (telling them that I'd prefer to purchase from them directly, but the cost was greater). Unfortunately, I have not received a reply from Smiths. I'd recommend contacting the provider of the activity in which you are interested and asking if they'd honor the tickets - maybe you'll have better luck

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,721 posts
9. Re: Hawaii Discount legit?

STOP!

Have you ever heard of Hawaii Travel Network and all of the hundreds of both customers and businesses they left in the lurch?

Michael Bennie, the man behind HTN is affiliated with Hawaii Discount.

DON'T GIVE THIS MAN YOUR BUSINESS OR TRUST HIM WITH YOUR MONEY

For some background:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60982-i38-k131629…

or search this site for Hawaii Travel Network

When you book direct you are guaranteed that they have your booking and you have direct recourse should they not deliver the promised activity. When you book through a third party you do may show up to find the vendor has no record of you or your payment, as was common with bookings through HTN.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,721 posts
10. Re: Hawaii Discount legit?

"I did e-mail Smith's to ask if they would honor the tickets sold by Hawaii Discount"

When HTN was in business they often sold activities that they had no contract to sell, even ones that they had been told to stop selling by the businesses. They would sell them at prices much lower than the actual price, then take a commission off of that and send a voucher to the company promising to send payment for the booking. Unsuspecting and innocent visitors would show up with vouchers in hand and the company had a choice to just honor and admit the visitor, or risk bad will and negative publicity and turn the voucher holders away. Even when Mr. Bennie would forward payment to the activity it would be 90 days or more out and less than the activity was selling for, essentially forcing the vendor to compete with themselves through Mr. Bennie.

Internet only activity desks, especially ones that are out of state and not licensed by the state, are, to me, always suspect. Anyone can throw up a website and start taking cc numbers. In Hawai`i activity desks are licensed by DCCA. You can call (808) 587-3295 or (808) 587-3222 to check that a company is licensed and whether or not there are any complaints against them