We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kauai in July is it too hot ????

Cloverdale...
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Topic
Kauai in July is it too hot ????

looking for past experiences in July the great and or the not so great

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,180 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Kauai in July is it too hot ????

Depends on you and what you're used to. Figure mid 80's with some humidity but nowhere near the humidity in many parts of the country in the summer. Visitors from the Southwest find it downright refreshing in the summer so it's all about what you're used to.

Edited: 11 February 2013, 11:55
Soddy Daisy...
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kauai in July is it too hot ????

July is the island's busiest month. People who have AC use it at night, but most say they love the weather.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,541 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kauai in July is it too hot ????

I think it is just about perfect. While hiking around the island, the temps in the Waimea area were pretty hot, but it doesn't even get into the 90's I think . . . it was high 80's . . . mostly it is balmy perfect, but it is probably a bit cooler on the northshore, where I always stay. I was on Kauai last July from the 13-28 - wonderful! :) I don't get AC, but I don't really care for AC - fans cool enough. :)

Edited: 11 February 2013, 12:06
Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,255 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kauai in July is it too hot ????

We love July. It's never been too hot or humid for us. We extended our stay this year until July 8th to enjoy the 4th of July on the island. it will be a bit more humid on the north shore since it does rain more than the south or west.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,844 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kauai in July is it too hot ????

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Our average high temps in July are in the 80's - the highest ever recorded temperature for Kaua'i was 91 degrees and I don't believe that was at anytime during the 15 years I have lived here.

Almost no one has air conditioning - partly because we don't need it with the near constant cooling tradewinds - and partly due to the extremely high cost of electricity to run it.

It is far more common to use jalousie windows and ceiling fans to keep cool here than air conditioning - which is why most condos and vacation rentals don't offer it.

July is a lovely month - not usually our warmest month nor the most humid (in my own experience that would be October) - it is certainly dependant on you as to your tolerance for our weather - but I certainly wouldn't think it would be uncomfortable.

Malama Pono,

Janet

California
Level Contributor
35,244 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kauai in July is it too hot ????

Downfall to July:

1. more people

2. higher airfares

3. can be a bit humid but nothing horrible. Its not Mexico hot.

4. Personally I like a/c and use it especially in July...to each their own!

5. I've been to Kauai many times in July (and hoping to go this July) and its always been nice with some rain on the North Shore at night which is welcome.

Positives to coming in July:

1. You are in Kauai.....need I say more!

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kauai in July is it too hot ????

one other added idea about July...We also visited in the june/july time frame...., is the trade winds, which do help keep you feel a bit more comfortable.

As Janet said, most of us did not a visitors have air condiioning, so we opened the jalouse windows, and turned on the cieling fans when it was time to sleep.

We ate out on the lanai at the poipu kai condo, for breakfast in the morning, as well as the bbq dinners that we liked to fix up. It really was not a big deal.

Also, another thing to think about is accomodations that are aligned with the trade winds, it really does help with the breeze blowing trough the front to the back doors and open sliders. ( lock em up, if you are not awake and in in he place ..dont leave valuables of any kind laying out in plain sight. )

All those years, and no worries about not having air conditioning. And, yes , it is expensive, which is one reason that it is generally not available. our electric bill, with no heat, and no A/C when we lived at halelani was $ 225.00 a month. Our downstairs neighbor had a $ 600.00 mo, bill. Not sure what they were doing but they had more people in their house hold than we did.

Denny

Kissimmee, Florida
Level Contributor
437 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kauai in July is it too hot ????

I was in Kauai just this last Sept. and Oct. I think it was just as hot as July. Mid 8o's alot of the days. Still had a wonderful time. How is Nov; & Dec. Temp. rain etc? Thinkging of going that time this year.

Cedarville, Ohio
Level Contributor
586 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kauai in July is it too hot ????

We were on Kauai for 8 days the last two July's and it was just under 20 degrees cooler each day than what our children were experiencing back home in Ohio during the same time. We did use AC at night but my wife said she wouldn't need it. Heat was never a factor in our vacation on Kauai.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Kauai in July is it too hot ????

For Koloagirl (or anyone interested) I am not actually concerned about the weather, but thought since you live there you could help me. I've read that July is the busiest...."more people", etc. Are there places we could stay where they're AREN'T so many people, or is it just busier everywhere?

Edited: 11 February 2013, 17:50