We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dry side of the island?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
77 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
dry side of the island?

Where is the "dry side" of the Island of Kauai?

Where is the best area to stay with kids - swimmable beaches and beaches for snorkeling?

We're planning to go in April '07.

Shasta Lake
Level Contributor
55 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dry side of the island?

The dry(er) side is to the south west. I liked the north side better it's wetter but more lush, also a little quiter than the south side. My Family stayed at the Hale Makai cottages, we would definetly stay there again, from there we could walk up the beach to tunnels beach.

Tunnels is an awsome place to snorkel. Your kids can safely snorkel in the pools. We ventured out a little further to where it was deeper and seen quite a few turtles, there were tons of fish in all the pools.

Hanalae bay on tword the north is also a great beach for kids.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dry side of the island?

Aloha

The south, and west shores are definitely the place as far as the least amount of precip, unless you have island wide rain.

We usually stayed in Poipu, since they have two good snorkeling beaches, and we wanted as many sunny days as possible.

We have also stayed up on the north shore, spltting up one of our many visits.

Usually, however, we would be living in Poipu, and check the weather conditions for the beautiful, and lush north shore.

If it looked good we would drive up north for the day.

We do the same, even now, for both Kokee, and Waimea Canyon, and for the north shore. We look out the window, and get a visual on what the clouds look like over the mountains. And, check the weather reports. In fact, we even use the Ha'upu range which is very close for clues as to what the day will be like. And of course Waialeale, and the taller mountains for their cloud cover.

Actually, we love nearly every area of Kauai, and dont mind driving to visit them....since we will be exploring and having fun for the day.

Kauai is such a very, very special and beautiful work of nature, that we could not just sit on a beach at a hotel, and not get out and enjoy all of the islands treasures...

Have a most wonderful visit.

Denny

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dry side of the island?

Aloha

The south, and west shores are definitely the place as far as the least amount of precip, unless you have island wide rain.

We usually stayed in Poipu, since they have two good snorkeling beaches, and we wanted as many sunny days as possible.

We have also stayed up on the north shore, spltting up one of our many visits.

Usually, however, we would be living in Poipu, and check the weather conditions for the beautiful, and lush north shore.

If it looked good we would drive up north for the day.

We do the same, even now, for both Kokee, and Waimea Canyon, and for the north shore. We look out the window, and get a visual on what the clouds look like over the mountains. And, check the weather reports. In fact, we even use the Ha'upu range which is very close for clues as to what the day will be like. And of course Waialeale, and the taller mountains for their cloud cover.

Actually, we love nearly every area of Kauai, and dont mind driving to visit them....since we will be exploring and having fun for the day.

Kauai is such a very, very special and beautiful work of nature, that we could not just sit on a beach at a hotel, and not get out and enjoy all of the islands treasures...

Have a most wonderful visit.

Denny

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: dry side of the island?

You did not mention ages of kids.

we took our family to Poipu, fall 2002, 5 grandkids four were 6 to 12 and one 19. Poipu worked great for the younger ones and the 19 year old is real flexible. we hope to go back in 2007 with same bunch. they loved it there.

Their parents went too. we love our grandkids, but not enough to take them to Hawaii by ourselves.

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
173 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: dry side of the island?

We stayed in Poipu, April 2004. Loved every minute of it! We made several drives up to the North shore (we had 10 days on the island). It was beautiful, but we definitely hit some rainy, dreary days. Made for outstanding waterfall viewing, not so great for the beach. Next time I might split the time and stay up North for a few days, but probably only if we were there in the summer.

Poipu beach was a great place for us with kids (9 and 11 at the time). Nice, wide sandy beach with great swimming and boogie boarding. My husband most likely snorkeled around there, but I don't remember him raving about it. We snorkeled and did SNUBA in the little cove right next to the Beach House. Rough entry and exit, but it was beautiful.

We also loved Tunnels and Ke'e.

We took a snorkeling trip up to Na Pali....breathtaking! We saw TONS of dolphins and came back with the most beautiful pictures.

The drive up Waimea is also a must do, with a stop at JoJo's for shave ice on the way back.

I could go on and on...Kauai is by far my favorite island. Unbelievably beautiful, quiet, relaxing. I can't wait to go back! Enjoy!

6. Re: dry side of the island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 23:15