We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Update on Manele Bay construction

California
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Update on Manele Bay construction

Hello, I've read a couple reviews which were quite critical of Manele Bay construction prior to the holidays. Can any island residents or recent guests tell me if the construction is ongoing and just how disruptive it is? We're headed there for our honeymoon in the next few weeks. I called the FS a few days ago and the person I spoke with was not very forthcoming with information. I was left with the impression that the staff has been instructed to not disclose much information. Thanks!

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,073 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Update on Manele Bay construction

Aloha VK,

I wish I could give you an update, because that would mean that I was just there. :-)

I did send an e-mail to FS Manele asking them to comment on your question. They have done that in the past. I did note from their website, that there have been some nice enhancements, especially regarding the restaurants. I hope this is successful, as that has been one of the weak spots for Manele in the last couple years.

Construction or not, I am sure that you will have a wonderful honeymoon. The nice part of going to Lana`i, is that if there is something disruptive in one place, you can get away from that thanks to the undeveloped status of the island. Just go walk 5 minutes to Hulopo`e Beach and you will be away from it all. Congrats and have a great trip!

And if you have not seen this page on things to do on Lana`i, please check it out:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g29219-c2257/Lanai:Ha…

This page is now out of date, as there have been the restaurant and lounge changes, so hopefully a recent visitor can post updates.

-DrV

Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Update on Manele Bay construction

I don't think I will be much help.... sorry.

From what I understand, Manele has been near capacity over the holidays. I think you will get the best advice from a guest who has stayed for an extended length of time recently (someone who has been on property at all hours of the day/night). The only time I visit the property is for lunch or dinner. The last time was a few weeks ago and I did not notice any construction disturbance. I did take notice of the dramatic changes in decor. The lobby is more modern now with hardly any hints of Hawaii to be found. Mr. Ellison is here with his entourage, so I'm sure any loud construction will be put on hold until he departs.

Off subject, but I will mention that the poor cockatoo in the lobby is miserable and does not want to be caged all day. I understand he is a rescue, but they need to find a home for the bird where he can stretch his wings and interact with other birds. It's very sad.

I will say that the FS Manele Bay is still a gorgeous and serene property. If it were me and I had a chance to stay there for my honeymoon, I would go for it. But I do understand your concerns. Hopefully a recent guest will chime in to help with your question.

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,073 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Update on Manele Bay construction

Aloha NatureCat,

I am sorry to hear that they have taken some Hawai`i out of the lobby. I have always thought it was one of the nicest lobbies ever. I am glad they put "The Lounge" in the lower lobby, as that was an under utilized space. It sounds like that is where the live music now is. I am also excited about the reopening of a nice restaurant in the former Ihilani space.

I also feel sorry for the cockatoo. I am not up to speed on options for rescued birds, but maybe that could be another project for busy Kathy Carroll.

I was surprised to see the latest Conde Nast Traveler ratings of the Hawai`i resorts. Number one is the Lodge at Koele, two is FS Hualalai on the BI and three is Manele, all ahead of the FS Maui.

With the news I heard recently that Minneapolis is looking to lure an airline back to MSP to fly nonstop flights to HNL, I am getting Lana`i cravings again.

California
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Update on Manele Bay construction

Thank you both for your replies. I'll be sure to post about our stay and the new aspects of the property. I've already printed and highlighted the Lanai info thread. Such great info --thank you!

Lanai City, Hawaii
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Update on Manele Bay construction

Aloha VKinCA,

We look forward to welcoming you to Lanai for your honeymoon! It's truly a romantic and unique island and am confident you'll enjoy your stay. Regarding the updates around property, the Resort recently completed several property enhancements, refining the overall design aesthetic in the public areas to capture a distinct sense of place here in Hawaii. The most notable enhancements include new décor and furniture, debut of a private fine art collection showcasing local Hawaiian artists, Hawaiian themed tropical gardens and landscaping, and new restaurants and lounge concepts - including Nobu Lanai. Our priority is, and remains, to offer guests an exceptional experience reflective of Hawaii’s beauty, culture and vast history.

Please let me know if you have any further questions, we're happy to help. We look forward to seeing you soon.

Warmest aloha,

Charles Fisher

Resort Manager

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,073 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Update on Manele Bay construction

Mahalo Mr. Fisher for the update. I just used your comments and additional info on the Manele website to update the "things to do on Lana`i" traveler article so it now correctly describes the new restaurants and bars.

VK, I think you are going to have an outstanding honeymoon on Lana`i.

san mateo
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Update on Manele Bay construction

I would like to respond to the concerns regarding the Cockatoo, "Took", in the lobby at Manele Bay. Took is a rescue bird who has a long history of feather picking. We had hoped that the spacious cage and attention would be good for Took, but that does not seem to be the case. Took is crrently under veterinary care and is being moved to an office with an employee that he has bonded with. I think that he will thrive in his new quiet environment. Although there can be many causes of feather picking, in Took's case this is more of a cosmetic vs. medical issue.

I would be happy to answer any questions anyone has about Took or any of the birds at Manele Bay.

Linda Janowitz

Veterinary Chief of Staff

Peninsula Humane Society & SPCA

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,073 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Update on Manele Bay construction

Linda,

Thanks for the reassuring follow up on Took. I am very glad he is being well cared for and will be moved to an environment more to his liking.

9. Re: Update on Manele Bay construction

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2014, 00:16