We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When is high season? Low season?

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Topic
When is high season? Low season?

I saw someone remark on the boards that right now is high season, meaning it's expensive and popular, I take it. So far all I hear about is high season - when does low season occur?

Can someone break it down in months? : ) (You can tell I'm already planning a second trip although we haven't even been on Trip #1 yet!)

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,561 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When is high season? Low season?

Based on rates for accommodations on sites that I use:

Highest: Mid December into the first week of January

High: Early January to mid April & mid June to mid August

Lowest: Mid April to mid June & mid August to mid December

Note ... this will vary a bit depending on who you book through, e.g. high rates might extend until April 30th instead of mid April.

Plymouth, Michigan
Level Contributor
707 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When is high season? Low season?

Roughly speaking, High Season is Mid December thru Easter plus June thru Labor Day plus Thanksgiving week. All the rest is considered "shoulder" or off peak. The absolute busiest is mid December to Jan 3rd for the holidays and you can expect sell-out conditions for rental cars and accommodations.

3. Re: When is high season? Low season?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 August 2011, 15:05
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
41,449 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When is high season? Low season?

My one "gripe" about early December is that everything is decorated for Christmas. Christmas music (Andy Williams Christmas Special, anyone??). Fake snow. When I go to Hawaii, I want it to seem like Hawaii - not a New England Village. I want Hawaiian music - not "Jiggle Bell Rock."

Lahaina, Hawaii
Level Contributor
238 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When is high season? Low season?

Historically May and September are the slowest months (therefore less expensive), but as many other posters have said you can still find great rates September thru mid-December (usually 12/18 or so).

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,010 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: When is high season? Low season?

MauiBlue -- We have seen a lot of business in May over the last three years. It may have something to do with the near-parity between the Loonie/US$. I hesitate to rent for a low rate in September. If a guest is careless about A/C use, there's no profit in renting then. (Still hoping someone will invent a pay-for-use A/C unit just to remind guests how expensive electricity is on Maui.)

Plymouth, Michigan
Level Contributor
707 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: When is high season? Low season?

The first two weeks of December are arguably the slowest of the year and you can find great bargains and no crowds. We really like the Hawaiian Christmas songs, Mele Kalikimaka!

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: When is high season? Low season?

Hi

We taped ribbons in front of our air conditioning vents so that people could

see when they leave it on in hopes that they will turn them off when they

go out.

Slow season is from the week after thanks giving until Dec 15th. People start arriving on the saturday before Christmas.

9. Re: When is high season? Low season?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 19:16