We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Temperature Question

LaGrangeville, New...
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Temperature Question

I am looking to visit Maui, when I can lay out on the beach, enjoy the water.. I see the temperature this time of year is in the upper 70's, with the wind, do you feel cool on the beach or in the water? I guess I am used to Aruba's weather where is always warm even at night never need a jacket this time of year.. My husband and I would like to visit next winter sometime for our 20 year but not sure if I should hold off to closer to summertime. Any thoughts would be great .. thanks..

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,466 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Temperature Question

With the exception of surfers, locals think 'winter' water temps are too low, but not visitors! We come to South Maui Jan. - Feb. every year. Early a.m. is best for calm ocean snorkeling. Some wear a half wet suit. Air temps have been around 80 daily since we arrived Jan. 3. We come to escape Chicagoland winters and to see the whales. (We used to go to the Caribbean until we 'discovered' Hawaii more than 30 years ago. Now we travel much farther to a tropical paradise that is also a State, with those advantages.)

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Temperature Question

stay south and you'll be fine

LaGrangeville, New...
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Temperature Question

Hi ChiSue.. thanks, your right if I want warm water and high temps I should just stick with aruba this time of year.. but I do want to try something new and enjoy all that Hawaii has to off. I guess if i want to try to get the best of both worlds.. maybe head more like April/May?

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,373 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Temperature Question

The water temps won't be anywhere what you are used to in the Caribbean. Hawaii waters just aren't as warm. That said, we are in or on the water year round. For snorkeling I wear a shorty wet suit year round. I have worn a fleece jacket 3 times in the last 10 years. Very early morning, before sunrise when it has been raining. I have acclimated to the subtle nuances in the weather, but during my first visit in the winter found it much warmer than Colorado!!

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,313 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Temperature Question

Even staying South (as we do) does not guarantee I'll be warm at the beach in Jan.Of course each person has different temp tolerance. If the sun is out I'm warm on the beach and loving it.. If I'm wet, it's cloudy and windy I'm chilled. If I'm dry and it's cloudy and windy I'm fine.

I also wear a shortie wet suit in the water, 75-76 degrees F is too cold for me to stay in long. But with a shortie I'm fine for a hour or more while snorkeling. You can rent wet suit tops at the snorkel/dive shops cheap.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
49,591 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Temperature Question

Aloha,

The temp differences between the Kaanapali area, Lahaina town, and the Kihei Wailea areas are negligible all year long. Here's a month by month chart that will be of help:

www.hawaiigaga.com/WeatherGuide.aspx#maui

Fort Worth
Level Contributor
149 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Temperature Question

We've been to Maui in JAN, FEB, and SEPT. I enjoy the temps in FEB the best. SEPT was too warm but the winter months are like Spring temps in Texas. :)

LaGrangeville, New...
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Temperature Question

Thanks to all.. I am glad I ask, if you don't know any better you think Hawaii and you think warm weather all the time, I am glad it was just easy to ask everyone here to realize that I would probably not be happy there this time of year.. I love hot weather. I love to spend hours in the ocean. So, I will have to reconsider my month of choice to try and get everything I want out of it. That chart is awesome ... Thanks again..

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,373 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Temperature Question

In your case, October would probably be the best. Just remember we rarely hit above 90 degrees anywhere in the islands. A steady 88 degree Oct. day with generally the warmest water temperatures of any of the seasons.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
49,591 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Temperature Question

Aloha,

October can be muggy though, if we lose the trades.

If you visit during our winter, it's easy to tell who's lived here a while and who's a visitor..........we locals are the ones wearing jeans and/or sweaters! The visitors are in shorts and such, happy as can be!