We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buy or rent boogie boards?

canada
Level Contributor
103 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Buy or rent boogie boards?

Staying in Napili, wondering if it's worth it to buy boards or rent a couple for the two weeks we will be there? Our condo unfortunately doesn't include them. If buying, how much app and where? Likewise for renting.

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,766 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buy or rent boogie boards?

There's a small Snorkel Bob's right there in Napili. Can't remember if that shop has Body Boards or not. If not head for Maui Dive down the road in Lahaina. Rental rates should be about $5 a day with discounts for weekly rentals. Buying a good board will run anywhere from $50 to $200. You can probably find a cheap styrofoam board somewhere but it will almost certainly break within a day.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buy or rent boogie boards?

boss frogs has goodies too.

http://www.bossfrog.com/napili-shop.php

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,804 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buy or rent boogie boards?

Rent them. They are a pain to take to the airport and they are fairly inexpensive to rent. There are a ton of rental places on the island. There is a shopping area in Kahana (right near where you are staying) I'm sure there is a rental shop there.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buy or rent boogie boards?

I bought one in Costco for about $50, it was pretty robust, enough that it lasted a couple of weeks, and I left it in the condo on my departure.

Out of interest, if you rent one and it breaks ,what happens? Are you down on a $200 deposit or similar?

Schaumburg, IL
Level Contributor
792 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buy or rent boogie boards?

We just rented from snorkel bobs in Napili and it was only $15 for a week.

Calgary, Ab
Level Contributor
1,615 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buy or rent boogie boards?

Sometimes Snorkel Bob's has packages. eg if you buy an excursion or luau, you get a boogie board for a week. A good deal if you wanted that excursion anyway.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,719 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buy or rent boogie boards?

For 2 weeks I would just buy a new board. We bought a nice big boogie board at Wal-mart for around $30 or $34 dollars. You can leave them at the condo or donate it to a store called the Savers at Kahului on your way back to the airport. It is very convenient. They have a huge bin by the door, we just park, and drop off things at the bin that we don't want to take home with us.

Walla Walla, WA
Level Contributor
169 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buy or rent boogie boards?

Two years ago, my Dad bought on Boogie board at Costco for about $40 and when we left we gave it to a nice family we met on the beach our last morning on Maui. We will be arriving to Maui in less than 2 weeks, we will rent this time, from Snorkel Bob's when we get our snorkel equipment.

9. Re: Buy or rent boogie boards?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2013, 16:13