We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fish bowl

co
Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
fish bowl

I was wondering if the fish bowl is still closed. Will be going back in June and this is the one place I would absolutely love to see. Is there a way of hiking there. Last time we went 2 years ago there were signs everywhere not to go but I have heard of people going. Any locals that could help me out I'd appreciate it.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,492 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: fish bowl

Still closed.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,339 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: fish bowl

If you have heard of people going to the fishbowl they were breaking the law. There are Rangers out there so they must have given them the slip!! Too bad because if people keep going out there, there maybe a possibility it won't ever open again.

The earliest it could open would be sometime in July. That is assuming the management plan has been done and in place. I haven't heard anything for almost a year.

Please, respect the land and the law and stay away. There is very good snorkeling (better than the fishbowl) at Moanakala (aka "the dumps") which can be done legally.

co
Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: fish bowl

Thanks for your help. I would never want to do anything to hurt the environment there. I have been to the dumps. Got a little choppy for me but I think it was too late in the afternoon. Will go earlier next time. Any other out of the way good spots?

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: fish bowl

No expert on Maui snorkeling. Haven't been to the Fishbowl. Went to the bigger ocean side cove at the Aquarium, which is 3 times the size of the Fishbowl. Still not all that big. Lucky to have it to myself for an hour. Can't imagine being there when it was being inundated with the crowds that used to show up at the Fishbowl.

The Fishbowl is tiny. It needs to be left alone.

5. Re: fish bowl

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 02:15