We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Kaanapali

Which Maui hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
310 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in Kaanapali

We are looking at staying in Maui in May 2013 for 5 days and can't decide between an oceanfront unit at the Kaanapali Beach Hotel or at The Whaler? We are 2 adults with no kids. Does anyone have any comments on either one? Any help appreciated.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
40,781 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Kaanapali

Please count your nights, not your days. The KBH is a hotel/resort ... and The Whaler is a condo development. They are next door to each other. So it depends on whether you want a hotel room or a condo ... and the locations are pretty much the same.

Scroll down for aerials

hawaiirevealed.com/free-travel-info/maui/mau…

Here is a rough map of the area.

kaanapaliresort.com/About/resortMap.aspx

While I have never stayed at either, I have walked by both of them many, many times. The pool at The Whaler ... it was refurbished a few years ago, but I don't like the size and the very "public-ness" of it. Right on the beach path with folks traipsing by.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Kaanapali

Having a kitchen would be pretty wonderful. The Whaler also has a "few"

outdoor bbq's.

Merced, California
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Kaanapali

Bumping this up in case others have stayed there.... since these are on my list also.

Thanks so much

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
39,712 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Kaanapali

Aloha,

Teddie, do you want a condo or a hotel? I'd ask the same of the OP.

KBH is an old property, with its own charm, but also not near as "spiffy" as the big hotels.

The Whaler is prob my least fav condo in Kaanapali. Yes, it's a good location with great views (if you pay for the right unit), but to me it's too city-ish.

I prefer North Kaanapali, and failing that, the Ali'i if you want to be on the "main drag".

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,450 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Kaanapali

A new thread titled, "Kaanapali Beach Hotel vs. The Whaler" might generate a few more responses. With so many "Where to stay?" threads, some forum readers might not read the thread ... but if it has the name of a hotel that they've stayed in in the thread title, it might prompt them to read & respond.

We stay north of Black Rock and find the area where these two resorts are to be very busy (densely populated) ... but if you are thinking of this area, as BLBL mentions, is a condo important, or are you OK with just a hotel room?

Princeville, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
41,278 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Kaanapali

Out of the two, I would pick the Kaanapali Beach Hotel. A little outdated, yes, but you won't find the kind of Aloha that you find there any where else on the island. It's know as Hawaii's most Hawaiian Hotel.

rhode island
Level Contributor
803 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in Kaanapali

I've stayed at KBH quite a few times and love it. The grounds are beautiful, the staff is exceptional. Are the rooms a little outdated? Yes, but only in the sense that there are no fancy amenities here, no real internet access, no fancy spa, no huge pools. The rooms are very clean with an island theme. There are free activities at the hotel for guests, such as lei making, Hawaiian story telling, hula lessons, etc. There is also a free hula show nightly.

I agree about the pool at Whaler's being way too out in the open. As you walk by on the beach path, the pool is right there, lots of folks looking in. I have been inside the Whale a few times, but never stayed there. I would pick KBH. whaler's is a condo complex and KBH is a hotel, so it will depend on what you're looking for.

Australia
Level Contributor
310 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in Kaanapali

Thanks for all the replies, and no, it doesn't really matter if it's a condo or just a hotel room. A condo is nice for the extra space but generally if we are in the room during the day, we usually spend most of the time on the balcony looking at the view anyway and won't be doing any cooking.

I did like the look of the KBH because it have more of an island theme look to it but was hoping it wasn't too outdated.

Mauimama - we were looking at an oceanfront room at KBH, any hints on anything specific to ask for?? Do I need to ask to be on a certain floor to see better etc.

Thanks for all your help.

S.F. Bay Area
Level Contributor
3,007 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay in Kaanapali

Not a fan of the accommodations at the KBH, but the Tiki bar is always a must-do on Ka'anapali beach nights (& some days too! ;)

One of the best features of the Whaler is their wonderful beachfront BBQ's and solid granite tables -- there is nothing like grilling up a meal right there, directly on the beach & enjoying it right at sunset with your favorite beverage -- can't drink alcohol DIRECTLY on the beach, so this is certainly an excellent substitute!

I often stay up north in Kapalua, which has a wonderful outdoor bbq'ing area & even a full kitchen - but there is nothing like being directly beachfront while preparing the best meals you'll eat on island..

There are also some very plushly renovated units there -- as SW mentioned, I'd also likely choose the Ali'i irrespective of price for a Ka'anapali-proper property, but I'm on island as long as humanly possible, & thus ... a good deal / good property usually wins my business! :)

Aloha, NKO

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
50 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay in Kaanapali

We've stayed at the Whaler at least 6 times and love it. Plus most of the rooms have a great water view. We especially like the extra space that you get, even with a studio, over a hotel room. But be sure you don't miss going to KBH for their nightly music under the stars. Nothing flashy, just good local music. It's a nice, low key hotel. Have fun!!!