We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road to Hana

Which Maui hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NJ
Level Contributor
144 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Road to Hana

The road to Hana is a definite must do for me. However I'm only 24 (extra fees for car rental!), so my boyfriend will do the driving as he is 25. He is not that good of a driver and I am worried on how he will handle the challenging road. Would a guide tour be better for us? I really want to get to Oheo and hike there as well. Are there any guided tours that will put Oheo as a priority? What tour would you guys recommend? Are there any not so expensive tours to Hana?

(I posted this accidentally in the general Hawaii forum and I think this is more appropriate in the Maui forum)

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
21,642 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road to Hana

Valley Isle Excursion is a great company, and yes, they stop at Oheo Gulch, but you will NOT have time to hike the Pipiwai Trail. That needs a minimum of 2 hours return. If there is any doubt at all, I highly recommend you take the tour. More comfortable for both of you, and you can always plan on driving the RTH in another couple of years on your NEXT trip to Maui!

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,647 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road to Hana

If you're unsure about driving the road, definitely take one of the guided tours. You'll actually likely see more than if you were on your own and it's way less stressful. Valley Isle Excursions consistently get rave reviews here in the forum for their tours and informed and entertaining hosts. Here's a link...

http://www.tourmaui.com

La Costa, California
Level Contributor
2,350 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Road to Hana

I think the RTH is not that difficult a road to drive. There are a couple narrow bridges, but most of the road is like a normal two lane road but with lots of twists and turns. You kind of have to get used to looking across the hood of the car as you go around the tight corners but you get used to it.

The thing is the road goes on and on......it's long.

If you want to do the hike could you add yourself as a driver, maybe just for a day? The Pipiwai trail is a great hike and I'd encourage you to try to find a way to do it, safely of course :)

Dave

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
39,661 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road to Hana

Oops!! I posted a reply on your other thread, sorry!!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
21,703 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road to Hana

I can tell you right now if you are worried about your partner's driving already, do NOT to the Road to Hana with him...it's alternate name is "Road to Divorce". Have you checked out Hike Maui? I think they tailor their trips for you so if the Pippiwai trail is a must they'll make it happen.

Valley Isle is awesome but you will not have time to hike on that one.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
39,661 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road to Hana

Too funny, Mamma........here's what I wrote in her other thread:

"Aloha,

Sadly, the good tours are maybe too pricey for you. The cheap ones aren't worth it--don't waste your money!!! Valley Isle Excursions is one of the best, and they do stop at Oheo, but not for long enough to hike to Waimoku Falls.

You might consider a hike with Hike Maui instead. They do some fun half day hikes that won't be all the way to Hana, but will have some rain forest and waterfalls. They also do a full day Hana hike, but it may too pricey.

Cool thing about them is that you meet them at a parking lot just outside Kahului and they do all the driving from there."

Careful we will both be accused of working for Hike Maui now!!

Back OT--I really do think Hike Maui might be a lot of fun for you and your BF. They are a great company and do a super job.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
21,703 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road to Hana

Oh Jeez...I want my kick-back! HA I'd prefer to think great minds think alike!

Alaska
Level Contributor
9,972 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road to Hana

I would agree with Dave that the road is easily doable and it moves along slowly, but you're always looking for the one lane bridges. If you are behind someone, you just go across when they do.....unless it's a huge line and then only 7-8 cross and you give the other side a chance. I am the driver in our family and my husband always keeps me posted on traffic coming around corners and towards the bridges.

I suggest driving the road to Hana on street google earth or looking up youtubes and you will get a very good idea of what the drive will be like. I love it and my husband is not a true fan. He dislikes the curves, but humors me and we have only made it to Oheo Gulch once........the first time. I am hoping to make it back this fall, but we will see. Everyone should have fun and as long as I make it to Ke'anae and the best banana bread on Maui........I can be persuaded to turn around. /-))))

If you decide to relax and just take the tour the first time, Valley Isle is the one I would choose. I picked them for a large family vacation before knowing about tripadvisor, but our plans changed before the trip and we canceled the tour. Good luck! Deb

NJ
Level Contributor
144 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Road to Hana

I may add myself as a driver for that day. I do want to hike the Pipiwai trail, and that may be the only reason I'm apprehensive with Valley Isle.

Union, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,084 posts
433 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Road to Hana

We did the road to Hana. Definately not a hard drive. I would be more worried about getting sick from all of the curves than the difficulty of driving the road. Take your time, stop alot to check things out and be sure to check out all of the food carts/trucks along the way!!