We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon help

Richmond, Kentucky
Level Contributor
62 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon help

I'm trying to plan a honeymoon in Maui and am overwhelmed with options! I know that we want to do a luau, see a black sand beach, and drive the road to Hana. What area is best to stay? I found a place that I like on Airbnb, and it's in Kihei. Is this a good location to base ourselves? Thanks so much!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
52,250 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon help

When are you coming and for how long? Yes, Kihei is a great place to stay, I used to live there. It's a beach town full of condo's, restaurants, shops, a couple of hotels and some great beaches. What is "best" is very suggestive and we all have our favorites but you really can't go no matter where you stay.

During your Hana journey, you will see some black sand beaches. I love this web-site for great info on Hana.

www.hawaii-guide.com

The best luau in my opinion, is the Old Lahaina Luau in west Maui.

Richmond, Kentucky
Level Contributor
62 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon help

Thank you! I've not got anything set in stone, but I'm thinking about the week of Memorial Day. I don't get much time for vacation, and I'm trying to work it out to get as many days as possible. I realize it will take about a day to travel there and back. I would like to spend 4 days in Maui and then fly to Oahu and spend 3 or 4 there. Does that seem reasonable? I've read many posts where people say you need to spend a full week and try another island on a separate trip, but I'm afraid I don't really have that luxury lol.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
27,990 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon help

I wouldn't use Airbnb, but you may be familiar with it already. My main concern would be to make sure it is legal rental.

Are you familiar with VRBO? That is another option, and there are literally hundreds of listings there as well. You do need to phone the owner though, just for security reasons, as even VRBO has had its share of trouble.

A lot of people head to Hawaii for that "trip of a lifetime", but they get bit, and hard. They are usually planning the return trip before they leave the airport for home. So don't discount a return.

Have said that, whether you want to split a stay in such a short time is up to you. But it will cost more as well. The interisland flight, and car rentals as well. You will always get a better deal on the rental car for the whole week. The same can be said for a condo rental. Owners will often forgive the cleaning fee if you stay a minimum number of nights, usually 7 nights, but sometimes 5.

Also, be aware that switching islands will take up half the day. Checking out, returning rental car, being at airport 90 minutes before flight, and then starting all over again on the "new" island.

It's your vacation though.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
48,293 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon help

Count your nights, not your days. Unless you have 10 nights, I would stick to one Island.

There is no "best" area to stay. All are "best" ... none are "best." It's a matter of personal preference.

I highly, highly suggest that you use the time you have (it's great!) to do more reading about Maui. Get a travel guidebook or two for the Island. And get a good map! Very important...

Establish your nightly accommodations budget before moving ahead. Do you want a condo? B & B (not a lot of them to choose from) ... or a resort? Most accommodations are in South Maui (Kihei or Wailea) or West Maui (Lahaina, Ka'anapali, Napili, etc.).

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,774 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon help

ONE week = ONE island. Interisland flights run about $100 pp, and just as importantly, they will consume half a day door to door. Your first day will blur as your body adapts to the time difference, and no departure day is really a full day either. Pick one island and relax and enjoy what Island Time you have. Come again and enjoy another island.

What are your flight options? We try to do at least the longest leg nonstop and on a wide-body aircraft. I avoid 757's. We can fly AA DFW-OGG (or DFW-HNL) on a 767, if that's an option for you.

I don't see the appeal of a B&B when you can rent a condo for the same cost -- and have more space, a full kitchen, washer/dryer. (No cooked breakfasts at Maui B&B's, and you'd have to go 'out' for every other meal/drink. You'll also get a better rate on a condo and a rental car for a full week.

South Maui is a good base from which to see the rest of the island, and to be near good beaches from the Kamaoles through Wailea and Makena. It's 20 minutes on 4-lane highway from Kihei to the airport and to the roads to Haleakala and Hana; 40 minutes up to Lahaina with 2-lane road between Maalaea and Lahaina.

South Maui condos from their owners: www.mauiownercondos.com Also look on www.vrbo.com

Richmond, Kentucky
Level Contributor
62 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon help

Airbnb isn't just b&bs. We've used it many times with no trouble. The place we are looking at is a condo with a kitchen so it will be fine. If everything goes as planned, I will have 10 nights. I realize that I could do a return trip, but I have many more places I want to go with limited vacation time and money. I think it will be fine. I'll be sure to share my thoughts when I get home :)

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
11,281 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon help

If you really want to do two islands, then look into flying into Oahu island hop on Hawaiian airlines to Maui then fly home from Maui. That will save you $$ hopefully and it will save time. With ten nights you might want to split

. Oahu 3 or 4 nights leaving late afternoon for Maui then 6or7 night Maui. Some condos will drop the cleaning fee if you stay 7 nights. Plus you don't need a car on Oahu. if you do want one, it's easy to rent for 1 day. If you are a Costco member check their travel page for good car deals, reserve but don't pay until last minute, keep checking for better pricing. Discount Hawaiian Car Rental is another good company to see all the different pricing and reserve with.

If visiting Pearl Harbor is on the list then check to see when you can reserve tickets. You might have to reverse and do Oahu last if you can't get tickets during the holiday weekend.

You might want to expand your search and just take a look at VRBO, more condo owners on Maui place their rentals there than with Airbnb.

Congratulation on the upcoming marriage and have a wonderful trip.

Edited: 07 July 2014, 19:24
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
52,250 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon help

My first visit to Hawaii was for 10 nights and we split them evenly between Oahu and Kauai. We had a fantastic time. I'm sure you will too. The only time we came back was when we moved to Oahu 3 years later!!

I'm assuming you are talking about Memorial Day of 2015. In that case, you should have no problem getting tickets for the USS Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor. These are the only tickets you need to get in advance. They are free but will charge a 1.50 per ticket processing fee. I'm not positive but I think you can reserve 6 months in advance. You might want to check on that though.

www.recreation.gov

Richmond, Kentucky
Level Contributor
62 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymoon help

Barefoot, that was the original plan. I was afraid Pearl Harbor would be really busy though since it will be around Memorial Day, so I put it at the end of the trip when I was looking at flights. I wasn't sure if they had any type of ceremony for Memorial Day that might bring in crowds, but I just assumed it would be a busier time. I will check out VRBO. Thank you!

Yes, fishdiva, it will be 2015. Thanks! I will check into it. I'm really excited and appreciate the help!

10. Re: Honeymoon help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2015, 16:17