We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hanauma Bay in the afternoon

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Hanauma Bay in the afternoon

Hello,

It is our first time to Oahu and we are planning to visit Pearl Harbor in the morning and head to Hanauma Bay at around 1ish. We don't want to go in the morning as the water is chillier - not great for my parents. Is the parking usually very full in the afternoon? Or should we leave the car at PH and bus? We don't know what to expect.

Thanks!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hanauma Bay in the afternoon

Just so you know the water temp is the same in the morning and in the afternoon. Your perception is different because you don't have the sun beating down on you.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,469 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hanauma Bay in the afternoon

Pirates is right. It's the air temps that make you think it's cold not the water temps. The water won't be any warmer in the afternoon. The trade winds tend to pick up in the afternoons which may make visibility in the water worse than the morning hours. That said, afternoon should make for less crowds. Don't leave your car at Pearl Harbor, someone may need that spot!!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hanauma Bay in the afternoon

Thank you for the suggestions! Maybe I should go for some snorkeling first after picking up my PH tickets in the morning.

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
322 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hanauma Bay in the afternoon

Although parking is a lot easier to find in the afternoon & beach is less crowded, the tide is higher which makes snorkeling a bit difficult and makes water murky . We tried snorkeling for about 15 minutes & were done. I preferred snorkeling at Shark's Cove.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
21,492 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hanauma Bay in the afternoon

Aloha,

The times of high and low tides move up about an hour or so every day.

Aloha

Cedarville, Ohio
Level Contributor
586 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hanauma Bay in the afternoon

We go to pupukea (sharks cove) instead of Hanauma Bay nowadays. But spotty showers from over the ridge behind the cove are the only down side of Pupukea.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,168 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hanauma Bay in the afternoon

"Although parking is a lot easier to find in the afternoon & beach is less crowded, the tide is higher which makes snorkeling a bit difficult and makes water murky ."

Agree with what jet said.

The times of the high & low tide change according to the phase of the moon.

So if you want to go at low tide in the afternoon, Google tide table Honolulu or tide calendar Honolulu.

And I think it is the changes in the tide more so than the trade winds that make the water murky at times (just my thought with nothing to base it on). Maybe a combination.

There have been some on this forum that said snorkeling was good in the afternoon.

The biggest problem I would have is the sun being straight overhead. I burn easily.

8. Re: Hanauma Bay in the afternoon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 10:16