We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

casablanca airport transit

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
4 posts
Save Topic
casablanca airport transit

hi Guys,

quichk question if I have 4 hours on casablanca airport, do i have enough time to take a short walk in the city? how far is the city center from the airport?

thanks

24 replies to this topic
Casablanca, Morocco
Level Contributor
6,384 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: casablanca airport transit

Impossible, I'm afraid, it's far too far. In addition, if your bags are checked through to a subsequent destination, you won't be allowed to go anywhere except the transit lounge and then onward to departures.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: casablanca airport transit

mishmashapricot:

With all due respect, why do you persist in repeating information you yourself have admitted you are not entirely certain of? There seems to be no evidence to back your claim that transit passengers cannot leave the airport except a random conversation you stated you had with an official in the past.

I spoke with the poster who was in transit at Casablanca: she stated that it absolutely was possible to leave the airport in transit. Further, I spoke to Royal Air Maroc customer service who also confirmed this as well as my local Moroccan consulate. In fact, they seemed quite surprised that I was asking.

Now, as concerns the question of the Original Poster: you're probably right that a four-hour transit is insufficient for a city walk because almost half of that time would be spend de-boarding, clearing customs and immigration, to-and-fro commute from the airport (possibly in traffic) and then the hassle of re-checking-in and clearing security. In the Original Poster's case, four hours seems unlikely to be sufficient and he/she should stay at the airport for that reason and not this imaginary restriction that transit passengers are prohibited from leaving the airport.

For transit passengers with ample time, they absolutely should avail themselves of the opportunity to see Casablanca in brief if they can and want to.

Mentioned in this post
Casablanca
Casablanca
Grand Casablanca Region, Morocco
Casablanca, Morocco
Level Contributor
6,384 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: casablanca airport transit

@DukeTroy

Please get your information correct before accusing me of anything. It was not until the 30th that you informed me that lindagaf had managed to leave the airport on a layover. This post was on the 29th. In addition I told you that "in my experience" I had not been allowed to leave on a layover where my bags were checked through, which was when I had to wait for a very late flight to Marrakech. My answers were not based on a "random conversation". It appears that in the intervening time the rules have changed, something I am quite prepared to acknowledge.

Mentioned in this post
Marrakech
Marrakech
Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz Region, Morocco
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: casablanca airport transit

@mishmashapricot:

Thanks for providing this example: that your point of reference for stating this policy was on a flight with a final destination to Marrakech with a transit in Casablanca.

It proves that whatever policy you have severally communicated is not only unlikely to have been official policy (since arrival into Morocco as your final destination gives you the right to "enter" Morocco either in Casablanca or Marrakech), but also irrelevant to international travellers.

When you landed at Casablanca in transit to Marrakech, did you clear immigration and customs in Casablanca or in Marrakech?

Mentioned in this post
Marrakech
Marrakech
Casablanca
Casablanca
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Casablanca, Morocco
Level Contributor
6,384 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: casablanca airport transit

When I attempted to clear immigration and had given my address as the hotel in Marrakech, the eagle-eyed immigration officer sent me back to transit. From there, as I seem to remember Linda saying in her post, you can't leave. It seems from her post that you now are allowed simply to exit through the main immigration hall, although you may have more information on that having spoken to her.

By the way, I'm done with this now. I'm not going to justify my posts to anyone. As I said, I am quite happy that the policy has changed and am happy to advise people of this in the future.

Mentioned in this post
Marrakech
Marrakech
Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
11,109 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: casablanca airport transit

Embassies, airports, ferry ports, officialdom and other first points of contact are so important to give the vital first impressions of a country and unfortunately Morocco's are often lacking. I wouldn't hold your breath expecting consistency from Casablanca airport, and in any case possibly some problem re-entering, see text below extracted from sleepinginairports.net/africa/casablanca-air…

"..I was in transit, but left the building for visiting Casablanca. I couldn't re-enter the airport transfer area (police-man, security and at Information told me the same in a let's say not nice way), so I had to go to Check-In at new, which was a unbelievable chaotic thing. It was hard to find out, which people standing in which waiting line... When they opened finally a second counter, all people were running on the right side only to run back to the left side a minute later to block both lines... The Check-In went slow, because people walked almost nonstop to the desk in front to ask questions, so the working-girl stopped check-in to answer it.

At Check-In, 1 hour later, the woman asked me, why I didn't go directly to the transfer area. Nooooooo!

Arriving by train. All passengers (with their bags) wanted to enter the train before people left train, so I it was everything else than easy to leave the train. I couldn't believe that people can act stupid like this.

My travels brought me through more than maybe 50 airports. Casablanca was by far my worst experience. Incompetent, unfriendly, incapable, amateurish."

Edited: 01 April 2016, 12:58
Mentioned in this post
Casablanca
Casablanca
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: casablanca airport transit

I will return and advise how my own experiences ultimately turned out. :-)

Thanks for sharing, TimCullis.

Incidentally, my five worst airport experiences in terms of service, consistency, and organisation have been: Lagos (Nigeria), Asunción (Paraguay), San Salvador (El Salvador), Monrovia (Liberia), and Port-of-Spain (Trinidad & Tobago).

Been to any of these? Were they worse than Casablanca?

Mentioned in this post
Lagos
Lagos
Faro District, Portugal
San Salvador
San Salvador
83 Reviews
Majorca, Spain
Spain
Spain
Europe
Casablanca
Casablanca
Kenitra, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,271 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: casablanca airport transit

If you were allowed to leave the airport (which I don't know if you are or not, it's a bit conflicting messages coming through).. but in the case you were allowed, 4 hours is really pushing it just for a short walk in the city.

A short walk outside the airport terminal, having overpriced coffee and nice food around the departures hall (after passport exit control) is a safer bet.

If you said you had 6+/8+ hours transfer maybe it becomes more of a possibility with less risk.

For example;

Your flight was late setting off, if that happens you're already losing time.

Then the transfer time you have of 4 hours is from the scheduled landing time but that isn't the time you will get off the plane and into the airport exactly, still plane taxis to the gate, wait to get off then walking to the passport control area, there's at least 10-15 minutes before that happens (possibly quicker depending if you sitting at the front of plane or not) , then 5-10 mins walking to passport control.. almost 30 mins gone..

then depending on how busy it is on the day, normally I've had to wait at least 25-30 minutes (you might get lucky on the day and be quicker than that)..

Then walking from passport control to the exit, where there is a que for another baggage check on the exit of the terminal where they x-ray luggage/hand luggage etc.. (that can add another 10 mins from passport control to that) ..

Now you maybe in the arrival hall! Best case scenario 45-50 mins.. (that's without flight delays and other delays in the airport)

let's say 1 hour. so you have 3 hours remaining

To get to casablanca the train leaves every hour on the hour and takes 30 mins to Casa Voyageurs. Though sometimes I've been on this train, it was meant to leave on the hour but took an extra 10 mins to leave (this happened 2 times)

Walking to the train from the exit of the last x-ray maybe 5 mins, buying ticket (you can use machine these days that will save time)

If that went perfectly and you got the train just before it left, it takes 30 mins..

when you arrive 2 and a half hours remaining..

The train returning back to the airport is 30 mins again from Casa Voyageurs and takes 30 mins, leaving at 13mins past every hour , (11:13, 12:13, 13:13....)

So already cut off another 30 mins from your 2 and a half hours remaining ( +10mins because you would want to be back at the station at least 10 mins before train departs) .. 1 hour 50 remaining..

Once you arrive back off the train at the airport another x-ray scan to get back in.. if there is a massive que, which in every instance for me there has its another 10-15 mins waiting (but again the further u sit near the front of the train and the faster you can run to that entry x-ray check the better, could save much time)

Then the process to re-check in? I'm not sure, but if you're already checked though you might just be able to go direct to passport control again, check with the airline when your coming.

From train to confirming which gate, to getting through passport control and next x-ray there's at least 30/40 minutes for all that (depending how busy it is)..

And all your timing has to be right for trains!

If you wanted a taxi to Casa Voyageurs it is actually longer then a train 38 mins with light traffic (according to google maps), but traffic is not light in casa! So it could take longer.

It's not worth to do it. It's risky to do it with times. Just not enough time.

If it's about just getting outside to get some air etc, have coffee, something to eat, wander around.. it's safer to stay at the airport and not leave (you would have to do the passport control to get outside "air" of the terminal because there is no outside area once you're inside)

The times I quotes really can vary, not much shorter but longer.

I have the same problem in Dubai, I've been to Dubai 8+ times, never actually been in Dubai! Just had 2 hour transfer or a 3/4 hour transfer and it's not enough time to get through everything, and I would love just go have a little walk around.. Once I had a 16 hour layover and booked the airport hotel, and then was my time to go for a walk outside BUT was advised if I leave the airport I can not re-checkin to the hotel or the airport minimum 3 hours before the flight :/ (even though I was checked through the whole way Syd>Dubai>London).

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Kenitra, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,271 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: casablanca airport transit

But again even just to get through passport control and exit for that air and coffee/meal, wander around the airport etc etc as mish pointed out it maybe not even possible.

Try call the airline or ask on board.. or when arriving just try but like mish said what happened in the experience was sent back to transfers :(

After you have done all this it would be good if you can come back and update this post for clarification!

Kenitra, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,271 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: casablanca airport transit

I'll fix a quote of mine .. Then walking from passport control to the exit, where there is a que for another baggage check on the exit of the terminal where they x-ray luggage/hand luggage etc.. (that can add another 10 mins from passport control to that) .. .. maybe 3-4 minutes actually. (speed walking, 1-2 mins!)

Edited: 01 April 2016, 22:22
Reply to: casablanca airport transit
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;