We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fes --> Merzouga (via guided tour or Independently?)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
84 posts
51 reviews
Fes --> Merzouga (via guided tour or Independently?)

A Moroccan friend highly recommended that I travel from Fes to Merzouga. He said I would really enjoy a sunset or sunrise camel ride in the desert and stay in a Berber tent followed by a trip past the Dades Gorges and other places on the road to Ouarzazate terminating in Marrakech. This sounds like a fascinating idea but I'm not sure how to do this trip right. I'm a single male traveler with very broken French.

Do any reliable travel agencies offer packaged 3 or 4 day tours like this? If not, would it be best to have an agency arrange a custom tour. As for trying to get there on my own, I have heard there are Supratour buses from Fes to Merzouga but that these buses are overnighters. I don't really like the idea of traveling at night - I wouldn't want to miss the scenery and I don't think I would sleep. Are there any affordable alternatives to the bus that would get me to the desert during daylight? My budget is not particularly tight but I don't want to blow $1000 on this either.

Let me know what you know about this. Thanks in advance!

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
620 posts
67 reviews
1. Re: Fes --> Merzouga (via guided tour or Independently?)

Plenty of companies offer 3 /4 package tour departuring from Fez, then desert endinng up in Marrakech, can not recommend any here, the best is to contact as many as possible, find out whats included, type of accommodation? car? whether the driver speaks good English?? ..etc

Know that travellin by yourself is a bit expensive, the more people you are, the cheaper the cost is for each.

Best

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
10,984 posts
171 reviews
2. Re: Fes --> Merzouga (via guided tour or Independently?)

Hi,

I should recommend you too a travel from Fes to Erg Chebbi, it is worth to see, it is highlight of the holiday in Morocco. There you can meet locals, talk with them so you learn you a little about them too. You can find this in Khamlia village they can arrange for you camel trek and other. There it is also special music Gnawa. You can travel self, there are many tourists traveling self. Sorry only I not know other bus there which is going at day, but it is possible to find some bus anyway. Or shared taxi, it is one possibility too and quite exciting. And you come near locals too.

Someone here write take a guided tour, but I don´t know, they are not so cheap and it is not exciting as a travel on you own. I personally prefer to travel self, I see more, I not like this "Right you have ... left you can see ..." - and you only look at left and right and not know nothing if you understand what I mean.

Erg Chebbi, Morocco
Level Contributor
398 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Fes --> Merzouga (via guided tour or Independently?)

Gee; I think there is no alternative bus, the one and lonely bus is the overnight bus; I would recommend the 4days 3night, so you can give yourself a time to enjoy the views and sites.

if you ain't keen with hiring cars and drive in a strange country, then your best bet is to join a tour ro buy a custom tour. so you handl the itinerary and modify whatever come to your mind.

'$1000' butter my biscuit!!; I'm sure nuff to heard tell it reach 5 while planing for such a break to bahamas / caribbean...

Erg Chebbi, Morocco
Level Contributor
398 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Fes --> Merzouga (via guided tour or Independently?)

Khamlia; I understand what you mean; but for "Chiquitita" would understand if you're talking about Hawthome ; Arcadia or Montebello!

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
10,984 posts
171 reviews
5. Re: Fes --> Merzouga (via guided tour or Independently?)

Hi fromdesert, I understand what you mean but if someone is curiouse as me for example, I should look already what is that for word or place. Thanks anyway.

ergchebbi-marakeche
2 posts
6. Re: Fes --> Merzouga (via guided tour or Independently?)

yes to have a experience in desert by camelride and enjoy the sunrise or the sunse its one of the best and good things to do in morocco during your travel here.so to get to merzouga there taxis and there is some buses during daylight that can take you to errachidia and there you can get taxi to desert.or you can hire car and drive your self and also it will cost you less that a orgnised tour.

just go alone and try to do a overnight desert trip bycamel in merzouga.

there is buses or taxis during light.

best luck

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
84 posts
51 reviews
7. Re: Fes --> Merzouga (via guided tour or Independently?)

Thanks for the advice. How far is Errachidia from Merzouga? Do you know which bus company travels there from Fes?

Erg Chebbi, Morocco
Level Contributor
398 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Fes --> Merzouga (via guided tour or Independently?)

92Km ; there are daily CTM buses from Errachidia- Rissani, to Fes. (overnight buses) departure at 20:30pm .

9. Re: Fes --> Merzouga (via guided tour or Independently?)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2010, 00:18