We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daladalas operating hours and routes

Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Daladalas operating hours and routes

Hi! I will be visiting Dar Es Salaam in September this year.

Does anyone have/remember the operating hours for daladalas?

I have a flight to catch on a Monday, which leaves at 10:55 AM.

At what time do you guys recommend I take the daladala to the airport in order to be there at around 9 AM? Would an hour be enough commute time or is there heavy traffic at that time of the day?

Also, what route should I take from the airport to Mikocheni, near the US Embassy?

Thanks in advance!!

6 replies to this topic
Wales
Level Contributor
733 posts
1. Re: Daladalas operating hours and routes

I've only taken a daladala from the airport to town and not the other way. The dalas at first light into town are rammed full with people getting to work so I guess coming the other way they are quiet. Whether they stop for a while at each stop hoping more passengers turn up I don't know.

From the airport to Mnazi Mmoja or Kariokoo it has taken me 1 hour but has also taken me 20 minutes both of those journeys at around 6 or 7 in the morning.

Sorry can't help with how to get to Mikocheni.

Dar es Salaam...
Level Contributor
435 posts
35 reviews
2. Re: Daladalas operating hours and routes

Dar Es Salaam Does Not Sleep And So Are Daladalas. I Would Pretty Much Say, They Are Open 24hrs. Two weeks ago I picked Guest who came with Turkish Airlines and Kenya Airline which landed last around 1:00AM Mind night and we were able to get Daladala around 2:30 and headed to Ubungo where they took bus to Arusha at 6:00AM.

Now to get to Mikocheni from Airport, You will need to go outside the Airport there is a daladala bus stop. Get yourself to Daladala from Gongo La Mboto (written G/Mboto) to Msasani and Have the Drop you at Morocco Bus Stand (newly done). The cost for the first bus is 750TZS and then here take any bus heading to Kawe which will be go through Mikocheni Suburbs with Multiple Stops such as Warioba Street, etc and cost is 400TZS so will spend only 1150TZS; less than 1 USD.

For your last day before the flight just get out and go spend sometimes at Quality Centre Mall or Mlimani City Watching Films mostly the last one which will end after Mid Night. I usually go to Mlimani City and watch the last film, did it last year when I had mid night flight to Ghana via Ethiopia. After that you can take Daladala to Airport and wait extra few hours outside the Airport. And you will be able to start check in at 2:00AM

Wish you the best...

Dar es Salaam...
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
36 reviews
3. Re: Daladalas operating hours and routes

Its to risky to use daladalas especially at night ..,bus itself,stand,roads are all maybe dark ,safety is at far... your best cheap safe option should be Uber!

Remember get subscribed to a local line as soon as you land and change the contact number in the uber app to the local new line or the Uber driver won't be able to get through you with the previously foreign registered number!!

For international flight you should at least put 2.5 hrs on the road!

Cheers

Edited: 09 July 2018, 23:57
Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1 post
19 reviews
4. Re: Daladalas operating hours and routes

I am wanting to get a daladals from Airport Stop at 1530 and go to Azikwe Street Stop near Holiday Inn. Do I have to take a connection bus? What stop do I get off to connect to the other bus?

Dar es Salaam...
Level Contributor
435 posts
35 reviews
5. Re: Daladalas operating hours and routes

Hi @Igreen1977 from Airport take the Daladala going to Mnazi Mmoja going from Gongo La Mboto written M/Mmoja on one side and G/Mboto on the other. Drop at the last stop, then ask anyone to show you where to get Daladala to Kivukoni then get off at Posta Mpya. This stop is the closest to Holiday Inn.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
2 posts
19 reviews
6. Re: Daladalas operating hours and routes

Hi, I just took a dala dala to the Airport from downtown.

It is Monday morning and traffic was calm going out of the town. From Kivukoni Bus Stop to Airport it took 45minutes. It costs 400 TZS. However, it is Dar, so you never know how long it will take.

From the US embassy you need to change.

You can check the dala dala map here:

jnia.go.tz/index.php/…public-transport

Alternatively you can take tuk-tuk to Kivukoni or take a tuk-tuk to the Airport directly. Use Uber Poa. It works very well and as a mzungu you will get the fair price and it is also safer.

Reply to: Daladalas operating hours and routes
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Dar es Salaam