We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visas - gong show

Alberta
Level Contributor
13 posts
13 reviews
Visas - gong show

I’m typing from the hotel wifi in the car. We arrived Dar and it was an absolute gong show to get TZ visas. First you give your entry card that you fill out on plane + your passport for verification. No line- just push yourself in. Then you take your passport and pay for the visas . Then they take the passports and keep them. You wait with others, stand and wait and then a customs person comes out and tries their best to say the completed visa passports name and then you go and get i our passport. Ridiculous. But it still seems to work. Then you go to immigration and another line. Gong show. Two hours later....

18 replies to this topic
Dar es Salaam...
Level Contributor
435 posts
35 reviews
1. Re: Visas - gong show

Hi there, Am sorry for such a bad experience. I was there when this happened. It as on the night of July 19th to July 20th.

A fellow TA Member Ofirshner from Switzerland was arriving with Turkish Airline. They landed at 2:30AM and I had to stand waiting until 4:45AM in the morning. I too I was pissed at the Immigration as well. So am not sure why it all happened that way, it had never happened before for I do pick guests there frequently but that day it was real bad.

Sorry for this encounter, keep enjoying your stay in Tanzania and have fun.

Bidford-on-Avon...
Level Contributor
284 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Visas - gong show

So does this mean its advantageous to get a visa in advance?

I'm flying into Dar in Sept. My flight lands around midnight and I'm just wondering if I should get my visa in advance?

Dar es Salaam...
Level Contributor
435 posts
35 reviews
3. Re: Visas - gong show

Hi Miles, if you can get a Visa before it is easier for you will get through without need to wait for Visa On Arrival to be approved. However as I stated, I constantly visit the Airport in Dar and the situation that happened the day before yesterday night was strange even on my side.

Probably they had technical problems inside.

Bidford-on-Avon...
Level Contributor
284 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: Visas - gong show

Thanks for your reply. What's the typical waiting time for a visa and how long does it usually take to get through from getting off the plane to exiting the airport?

Dar es Salaam...
Level Contributor
275 posts
14 reviews
5. Re: Visas - gong show

If you land at midnight it shouldn’t take long at all unless something is really wrong. It’s mid-day that tends to take the longest since you have all the larger planes landing in short succession.

Bidford-on-Avon...
Level Contributor
284 posts
10 reviews
6. Re: Visas - gong show

Ok thanks again

Bidford-on-Avon...
Level Contributor
284 posts
10 reviews
7. Re: Visas - gong show

Will they accept pounds sterling for a visa or is it only US dollars?

Edited: 21 July 2018, 16:26
Bristol
Level Contributor
3,220 posts
86 reviews
8. Re: Visas - gong show

Personally if arriving in Dar I would get your Visa in advance. The Tanzanian High Comission in London is very quick. 3 day turn around if you collect in person or about a week if you post. This is not the first post I have seen about Visa “nightmare” at Dar.

If getting on arrival you need $50 per person

Edited: 21 July 2018, 16:53
Dar es Salaam...
Level Contributor
435 posts
35 reviews
9. Re: Visas - gong show

They will use your Master/Visa card to transact an amount that equals to Fifty US Dollars.

Alberta
Level Contributor
13 posts
13 reviews
10. Re: Visas - gong show

WHen I go to Zanzibar and come back - will this happen again? What can I expect ?

Reply to: Visas - gong show
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Dar es Salaam