We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9 hour layover...suggestions?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
50 posts
322 reviews
Save Topic
9 hour layover...suggestions?

I have a 9 hour layover in Dar before I catch my flight to Europe. I have a couple questions....does the airport have a storage area for bags? Does anyone have any good suggestions on what to do for the 9 hours? Things to see? Places to go? Restaurants?

Thanks,

Mentioned in this post
Dar Es Salaam Intl Airport
Dar Es Salaam Intl...
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Zanzibar
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 9 hour layover...suggestions?

Can have a Dar City Tour which will cover that time and time for lunch as well.

Can visit

Tanzania National Musuem

Askari Monument

Botanical Garden

Karimjee Hall

Ocean Road Cancer Hospital

State House

Ferry Fish Market

Azania Front Lutheran Church

St.Joseph Metropolitan Cathedral

Independence Torch Monument

Memorial Village

Tinga tinga Art Gallery

House of Arts

Regards,

Zanzilandholidays

Mentioned in this post
Dar Es Salaam Intl...
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Tanzania
Level Contributor
516 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 9 hour layover...suggestions?

Slipway is a nice area to hangout, they have some touristy shops, a nice restaurant and there is also the Slipway hotel where you can get a day room if you wish. It is also close to Seacliff which is also a good area with restaurants and the Seacliff hotel - you might be able to pay a fee to use their pool area (it is normally only for resident guests and outsiders pay a small fee to use).

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Slipway
Hotel Slipway
378 Reviews
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Rancho Mirage...
Level Contributor
411 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 9 hour layover...suggestions?

Is there a reliable tour operator that we can inquire about a city tour that would cover the listed highlights.

We only have 1/2 a day port stop next Jan. for this city.

Thanks very much.

Findlay, Ohio
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 9 hour layover...suggestions?

You've got a list of places from Zanziland above, just get a taxi driver and ask that they take you to some of these places. Look on the right side of this web page, 3rd question down and follow that and you will get some detailed descriptions of places to go and see in Dar. The 1st question on the right side list will take you to some restaurants. Pay special attention to the Chinese restaurant on Jamhuri street, great place and you're making me hungry for it.

Mentioned in this post
Dar Es Salaam Intl...
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Rancho Mirage...
Level Contributor
411 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 9 hour layover...suggestions?

Karl,

Thanks for your input. I gather it is easy to hire a taxi driver -- do they all speak and understand English?

And the city is user friendly enough for DIY...We are on a cruise and prefer to do other activities than just game drives...

Lastly, if I were to read up on the Dar's history then I will be able to maximize the taxi ride -- Would you negotiate for a flat rater for x numbers of hours?

What should I pay for a 5-6 hours taxi ride in Dar?

Thanks again.

Mentioned in this post
Dar Es Salaam Intl...
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Findlay, Ohio
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 9 hour layover...suggestions?

Many will speak English, but not all. Get one which does, just ask them a bunch of questions and if they understand you and answer you, you can get a feel for what English they know.

Go to where your interests are, read the list of Questions about Dar on the right side and you can get a rather good idea of what's there. I would negotiate for a flat fee for a taxi, and don't hesitate to walk away and get another one (it would help if the one you went to saw you walk away from another). You can find taxis everywhere, but if you go to the New Africa Hotel area there are some taxi parking places around there, and at the Dala Dala (small buses) stand close to there. That would be in the Ohio Street / Askari area. I wouldn't know what a day rate would be now, I would think less than $100 (and I don't tip taxis there).

Mentioned in this post
Dar Es Salaam Intl...
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
New Africa Hotel
New Africa Hotel
433 Reviews
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Rancho Mirage...
Level Contributor
411 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 9 hour layover...suggestions?

Hello again,

Thanks for the tip -- now I just need to find out where the comp. shuttle from the cruise ship would take us for this excursion plan to work.

Thank you.

8. Re: 9 hour layover...suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 March 2013, 15:37
9. Re: 9 hour layover...suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2014, 02:16