We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 Weeks in Zim and South Africa

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
2 Weeks in Zim and South Africa

Hi guys - would really appreciate your feedback. My partner and I wish to travel to Zimbabwe and South Africa for two weeks. Due to family commitments, we'll have to spend a minimum of at least 4 night in Johannesburg. Any thoughts on an itinerary? I was thinking Joburg 4 night, Cape Town 4, Vic Falls 2 nights, Hwange 2 nights and Harare 1 night. Any thoughts? Anything I've missed in Zimbabwe? Will be going in December

Edited: 16 September 2018, 02:04
7 replies to this topic
Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
2,455 posts
346 reviews
1. Re: 2 Weeks in Zim and South Africa

I understand that you have family there but I would spend as little time as possible in Johannesburg because there simply isn't much of tourist interest to see there. I'd also skip Harare completely. You spend just one day in Victoria Falls. I would spend as much time as possible in Hwange National Park since it's one of the finest National Parks in Africa. I have already been to Zimbabwe five times.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: 2 Weeks in Zim and South Africa

Yes you're right re Johannesburg. It's not really negotiable as I have to spend time with family. Thanks for your advice though! Any suggestions on where to stay in Hwange and Vic Falls?

Level Contributor
20 posts
3. Re: 2 Weeks in Zim and South Africa

There various good places to stay in Vic Falls and that of course depend on your budget. There are lodges and also chalets lodging while you can also have an option of 3-5 star hotel like Kingdom hotel or Vic Falls hotel. For chalets you can book with Vic Falls rest camp which is centrally located in the CBD.If you like a lodge then i would recommend Batonka lodge because of its location. Its less than 10 min walk to the CBD. The good thing about accommodation in Vic Falls is that most of these are near the city center which makes going around easy. However i would be quick to point out that considering the time you will be going there, December is a busy month and accommodation fills up fast.This means you need to finalize that part of your travel as soon as possible so that you get the place you desire and so that you get a reasonably charged accommodation place. In most cases prices are a bit higher at this time of the year and booking in advance would be great idea to avoid last minute rush.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: 2 Weeks in Zim and South Africa

Many thanks :)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
195 posts
276 reviews
5. Re: 2 Weeks in Zim and South Africa

I completely agree to skip Harare. You really need the extra day in either Vic Falls or Hwange to give yourself enough time to do both. Accommodation will really depend on your budget as it varies considerably, and also whether you prefer to have most things included for you, or whether you are happy to do things under your own steam.

One word of caution regarding hire cars - they are extremely expensive in Zim and they tend to sting you on mileage. I think we only got 150kms a day, which is no way near enough if you are going from Vic Falls down to Hwange for 2-3 days. Just bear this in mind when you are factoring in the different transport options.

There are other lovely places in Zim, but you just don't have time. Better to allow time to experience Vic Falls and Hwange properly, than rush through it and see nothing!

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: 2 Weeks in Zim and South Africa

Many thanks - yes we've come to the same conclusion. Vic Falls and Hwange it is! Any suggestions for decent tour operators?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
195 posts
276 reviews
7. Re: 2 Weeks in Zim and South Africa

I am so sorry but I can't help you there - we really did everything ourselves.

BTW - I don't quite agree with the previous poster that you only need 1 night in VIC Falls. This really depends on whether there is anything you actually want to do while you are there. One day really means quick tour of falls and a sunset cruise, that's it. We spent 4 nights (3 on the Zambian side, one on the Zimbabwean) and that was about right for us. We enjoyed having a bit more time for a leisurely lunch at the Vic Falls hotel or sundowners at the Royal Livingstone, watching the hippos. We also did the Devil's Pool, white water rafting, 2 sunset cruises (one on either side), and horse-riding, so for us 4 nights gave us enough time to fit all that in comfortably and still enjoy some time relaxing. It is definitely worth scheduling some time to walk over the bridge (which is also the border between Zim and Zam), and to see the falls from the other side/visit the Royal Livingstone. This is all essentially walkable once you reach the Zambian side. So I would definitely stick to your 2 nights at a minimum - you won't be stuck for things to do.

Reply to: 2 Weeks in Zim and South Africa
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted