We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving In Zimbabwe

bristol
2 posts
Save Topic
Driving In Zimbabwe

Hi,

I am just about to go out to Zimbabwe on a road trip though Zim and then going down to South Africa. My question is..how safe are the roads to travel on, I have heard of the road blocks etc and having to pay to get though ( how much is expected to pay? ).

Are there still major problems with getting Fuel and whats the price with the zim dollar going mental?

My biggest question is I am buying a car when out in Zim and then driving it down to South Africa, does anyone know what I need or is there a problem with taking a car from Zim into SA by myself been a tourist?

Any help or advise would be welcomed...would not want to have to turn back at the border.

Thanks

Adrian

Annandale, Virginia
Level Contributor
305 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving In Zimbabwe

did I understand that you are buying a car in Zimbabwe? Then driving through Zim? Those both sound like really bad ideas. Why would you buy a car in Zimbabwe? And with the unpredictability and political instability and crime in Zimbabwe, I would not go far from tourist areas. The country is falling apart. I would think it is not safe at all.

Check these two articles:

allafrica.com/stories/200812050718.html

allafrica.com/stories/200812050923.html

amongst the many here:

http://allafrica.com/zimbabwe/

We will be in Victoria Falls in a few weeks, for a night. I think that's OK, and I'm glad to be bringing in some hard currency, helping out the local folks, but we won't wander far from the hotel and the activities.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,333 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving In Zimbabwe

Hi, I agree with Momlitz, it sounds like a really bad idea to go anywhere in Zim in the near future other than the tourist areas, look at http://zimbabwesituation.com this indicates dire situation in Zim. anything can happen with no warning.

Ivan

Sussex
Destination Expert
for Mana Pools National Park, Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,034 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving In Zimbabwe

As the other posters have stated, buying a car in Zim is a mind-bogglingly bad idea.....taxes on cars are astonomical & prices of new & second-hand vehicles are much higher there than the equivalent (no doubt better maintained) vehicle would be in the UK. And that is before you even try to get to grips with the financial situation in Zim - when I was there in October, buying a coke was a major logistical excersize, I tremble to think what it would be like buying a 'big ticket' item like car!!!! I would have thought (though I have no direct experience) that S. Africa would be a much better place to source a vehicle?

Driving on the main highways and by-ways of Zim is generally OK so long as you can a/ get fuel and b/ dont drive at night. You are likely to come across frequent road-blocks, but we have never had to pay to get through.

When driving, watch out for small bundles of twigs/leaves left on the road - this the the African equivalent of a red warning triangle - there will be a broken down vehicle in the road a little way ahead.

bristol
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving In Zimbabwe

Hi,

Thanks for the input, I will read the links now.

I understand that the country is in a state at present and maybe I should have been a little clearer. I was from Zim many years ago and would love to revisit my country once again 25 years on. I am also a classic car collector and have my eye on a car which I am in process of closing the deal ( if I can get it out of Zim ), so would love to join both collecting and holiday into one.

My biggest problem is what I will do when I get to the SA border and if I can export a car out of Zim...is it legal to export.

I understand this holiday will be alittle different, but I would love to visit the country one more time, I also understand it will not be a relaxing holiday...I expect full of stress.

It is good to hear that the road blocks do not appear to be just a money raising object for the local police/army.

Thanks again.

Adrian

Mfuwe
Level Contributor
944 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving In Zimbabwe

I assume you are thinking of exporting the vehicle out of Southern Africa- to UK for example. You will need a carnet then. Contact the Zimbabwe AA in Harare.

If it is just to South Africa, then you can get a Temporary Import Permit at the border, till you register it in SA.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
611 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving In Zimbabwe

If you are originally from Zim, then I assume you know people there still? If so you would have to use them to get hold of fuel, as I hope a classic car can store enough on its tank to get you through the border, as you are unlikely to be able to carry jerry's with you (illegal when I was there last). Actually the roads are in pretty good nick, seeing as there are no cars driving on them. I hope you know what you are doing. I wouldn't rush off and do that.

7. Re: Driving In Zimbabwe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 08:18