We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Safe is Zimbabwe in 2011?

Tampa
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
How Safe is Zimbabwe in 2011?

My daughters and I will be traveling to Victoria Falls and Hwange National Park in July 2011.

Is it safe to travel in Zimbabwe? Any recommendations?

We will also be traveling to Botswana.

The Australian Department of Foreign Affairs has issued the following statement - "We advise you to reconsider your need to travel to Zimbabwe at this time due to politically motivated violence in some areas, the high level of criminal activity, the absence of rule of law, and the poor economic conditions which could lead to civil unrest"

Just want to get the facts for safe travel.

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
754 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: How Safe is Zimbabwe in 2011?

Usually the Israeli Department of Foreign Affairs is the first to put out this warning about states... and I don't see any warnings about Zimbabwe.

Just to be on the safe side I also checked with the Department of Foreign Affairs of United Kingdom and U.S.A and they also have no special warnings to Zimbabwe. it could be that Australia is taking a stringent precautions.

I read the warning of the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs about Zimbabwe, from what I can tell they are warning you more about the crime and to avoid rural areas. They also say that : "the situation in Zimbabwe is generally calm".

Regarding to your travel, You are traveling to Victoria Falls and Hwange National Park both very very close to the border with Zambia so even if political unrest do occur you can immediately cross the border to Zambia. Victoria Falls is a very touristic area... the tourist police can be seen anywhere you will go.. this is not a place that the mob is likely to start any kind of political protest. Zimbabwe puts a lot of effort to make sure that tourists are safe.

regarding for your safety I would follow one of the advise that was written there and register my travel as they asked, so in case of an emergency the embassy could contact you immediately. Another thing is to make sure that your travel insurance cover rescue when political unrest or a revolution starts. My insurance for example covers immediate rescue to a nearby country, That has nothing to do with Zimbabwe.. it's just being a smart traveler.

Zimbabwe is amazing... I am so jealous that you are traveling there this year... I wish I could... :)

Tampa
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: How Safe is Zimbabwe in 2011?

Your message and your sincerity is awesome.

Thank you for a great response. We will be traveling to Hwange - either Davisons Camp or Little Makalolo. Have you been there?

Also will be on the Zambezi Queen in Chobe.

What has been your experience in Africa?

A big thank you from around the world.

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
754 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: How Safe is Zimbabwe in 2011?

I haven't been to any of these camps, I wrote about my safari experience in this topic: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g477977-i14020-k42…

My Africa experience was very special to me..

I wrote about it in the 3rd reply of this topic: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293759-i9323-k423…

I can add that Zimbabwe is one of Africa Jewels... you will have a great time!

George, South Africa
Level Contributor
1,761 posts
23 reviews
4. Re: How Safe is Zimbabwe in 2011?

I agree, most areas in Zimbabwe are perfectly safe to visit, we send clients there all the time and have never had any complaints or safety concerns. You will have a great time! I will be going there again in May.

Onne from Wild Wings Safaris

Melbourne, Florida
1 post
5. Re: How Safe is Zimbabwe in 2011?

i am a zimbabwean resident myself.im residing in usa-florida at the moment.I advise you to go and have fun.It is safe no one will do any harm.Most people mind their own business.Last year when i was there, i heard all the news about violence and stuff on t.v but never seen it personally.The tourist areas are the safest.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
6. Re: How Safe is Zimbabwe in 2011?

I was in Zimbabwe in November 2010 and had an awesome time. At no time, did I ever feel like my life was in danger. You will thoroughly enjoy this great country. Victoria Falls and the Zambezi are spectacular!! I visited Hwange Park and Matopos Park. Matopos was GREAT for the white Rhino!!

Botswana was just as wonderful. Chobe was great for Elephant and Hippo viewing. And you have to do the Okavango Delta. Truly a highlight! Again, the people in Botsawana were just as lovely!

Enjoy your African Holiday!!

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
563 posts
35 reviews
7. Re: How Safe is Zimbabwe in 2011?

The Australian Department of Foreign Affairs are the biggest bunch of drama queens you will ever meet.

Unless they provide specific information, then just take everything they say with a grain of salt.

Parts of Sydney are more dangerous than Zimbabwe.

They don't recommend travelling to Dubai either, but I haven't locked my car in 8 years it is that unsafe.

Edited: 03 April 2011, 05:36
Malta
Level Contributor
157 posts
8 reviews
8. Re: How Safe is Zimbabwe in 2011?

I will be going to Victoria Falls in 2 weeks time and then on the Zambezi Queen. I keep reading posts that this area of Zimbabwe is safe as there are a lot of tourist police. I have also read that soldiers burst into a hotel in Harare stealing everything they found.

Did this really happen? And can it happen in Victoria Falls as well?

David

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
5,079 posts
202 reviews
9. Re: How Safe is Zimbabwe in 2011?

Below is the URL from the US State Department with safety warning for travel. I am not an expert and I cannot comment on the safety in the region.

…state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1063.html

I would love to receive a trip report about the Zambezi Queen after your trip. We are looking at this for July 2012.

George, South Africa
Level Contributor
1,761 posts
23 reviews
10. Re: How Safe is Zimbabwe in 2011?

I will be going to Vic Falls again next month, and I can tell you that the US State department and the UK Foreign Office are sometimes quick to put out travel warnings when it is actually quite safe to travel. They would rather err on the side of caution, and I suspect their advice is not always based on actual conditions on the ground in tourist areas, but more likely on general reports from their embassies in the main cities.. Vic Falls as a destination is peaceful, quiet and safe, and there is no reason not to visit this beautiful place.