We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time Hwange, help with planning

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
76 posts
17 reviews
First time Hwange, help with planning

Hi,

We would like to visit Hwange May 2016. This will be part of our trip from Joburg to Chobe and then Hwange and back to Joburg. We will be combining 4*4 self driving, roof tenting with lodging (200-400usd per night). We are planning about 4 days in this park. What are the accommodations options available within this range and how is the game viewing end of May. Does the weather conditions are good for roof tenting and self driving. Is there an exit point from Hwange to Botswana from South of national park? Very much appreciate your advice in forhand.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
173 posts
1. Re: First time Hwange, help with planning

Google www.zimparks, also Hwange National Park accommodation, you'll find all the options you need. Game viewing can range from exhilarating to boring. I never expect anything and always come away with unique memory's.

Weather wise. May the rains have finished and so has the worst of the summer heat so roof top is ideal.

There is no border post between Hwange NP and Botswana. From Vic Falls you will enter the park in the north at Sinamatella and plan your route through the park to come out at Main Camp in the south. From here its tar road all the way through Bulawayo to Plumtree border post and then on via Francistown to Martins Drift border post on your way back to Johannesburg.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
76 posts
17 reviews
2. Re: First time Hwange, help with planning

Thank you. This is really helpful. I contacted Zimparks for booking accommodation but they never replied.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
173 posts
3. Re: First time Hwange, help with planning

Welcome to Africa!

If you want to stay in one of the Zimparks camps (Sinamatella, Robins or Main) don't worry about it, there's always something available on arrival and you have your tent so no problem. I have never booked in advance yet.

If you want specifically to stay a particular night at one of the more upmarket options that's different and I would advise booking, although again I think you'll get in. Zim is not that busy.

If you want to overnight in one of the picnic sites stopping places in the park run by Zimparks this can be booked at Sinamatella on arrival and is on a first come first served basis. There's room for about 4 roof top type vehicles at each but I've never seen more than three at one place.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
76 posts
17 reviews
4. Re: First time Hwange, help with planning

Thanks. I will also try to write them again :)

Harare, Zimbabwe
Level Contributor
5 posts
37 reviews
5. Re: First time Hwange, help with planning

Hi Nethaji,

It sounds like you have a great safari trip planned.

In terms of accommodation options in Hwange, you got some great advise already.

National Parks can get hard to get hold of and you really need to call them: +263-4-706077-8 or email centralreservations3@zimparks.co.zw

Alternatively, you can also camp at Ivory Lodge as they have a camping ground with all the facilities BUT they also have a good Pay 2: Stay 3 Fully Inclusive offer which is really reasonable.

Zimbabwe is most times of the year not that busy but be mindful of the May school holidays as the Zimbabwean likes to travel in their own country and lodges and camps can get filled-up quite quickly.

Enjoy your trip!

Suzanne (Vayeni.com)

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
173 posts
6. Re: First time Hwange, help with planning

Thanks Suzanne,

I thought you were wrong when you said camping at Ivory Lodge. It took me ages to find it on their website. Its like they don't want you to know about it!

I'll definitely try it next time.

Do you know any more secret places?

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
76 posts
17 reviews
7. Re: First time Hwange, help with planning

Thank you. Are there school holidays in whole May? I will check Ivory Lodge website. I am surprised that upmarket lodges in Hwange are equally expensive as in Botswana. Is there lodges for about 200-500 usd for a room with half board option only. We are not interested in whole packages that they are offering.

Victoria Falls...
Destination Expert
for Victoria Falls
Level Contributor
939 posts
6 reviews
8. Re: First time Hwange, help with planning

Zim school holidays normally end in early May, so that wont be an issue for you at the end of May.

Miombo Lodge might be an option for you, ideal for self drive travellers. They have varying rates for different quality accommodation - An elevated tented suite is $200 per person on full board - then their fully inclusive rate which includes games drives etc is $300 per person. They also have a campsite and thatched chalets which are much cheaper.

Other options include Sable Sands and Hwange Safari Lodge - these are good for self drive travellers.; Ganda Lodge is a bit run down but is in a great location and is also very reasonably priced.

You can find more details on all these places along with their locations here victoriafalls-guide.net/accommodation-in-hwa…

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
76 posts
17 reviews
9. Re: First time Hwange, help with planning

Thank you. Your link to the website indeed give very good overview :) From Johannesburg to Hwang, Can we drive with only one overnight? We land around 9.30 in the morning at Joburg and car will be delivered to the airport (4x4 by bushlore). We would like to buy supplies for camping when we are in Zimbabwe, is this possible? We have planned 3-4 nights in Hwange, 2nights lodges and 2 nights camping. Not sure if we should drive to Maun-Savuiti- Chobbe first and Hwange last or other way around. We have 13 days.

Edited: 11 December 2015, 05:32
Northampton
Level Contributor
34 posts
8 reviews
10. Re: First time Hwange, help with planning

Hi

We are from the UK and have just returned from an identical trip -renting a 4x4 in Joburg and travelling up to Vic Falls via Botswana and we had a wonderful time. We dropped down to Hwange and stayed at a beautiful inexpensive private camp called Kapula in Hwange. www.kapulacamp.com

This is well situated about 10 mins drive from two large water holes and there is also a small one in site of the camp.

We made our arrangements through a lady in Pretoria, Lynn Fraser, www.topwintours.com and her advice and service was first class.

She booked our truck thro Bushlore and that was first class. She also booked one night in Vic Falls at the Vic Falls Hotel and after 4 nights in the bush on the roof you do need a bit of luxury.She got us a good rate for the hotel and with Bushlore.

We were initially concerned that she actually existed but I did lots of "Detective Work " on Forums, spoke to her on the phone and concluded that she did and then I transferred the money. It was clear from conversations she really knew her stuff. We would have spent hours E Mailing Botswana and the locals are not too efficient so using Lynn was a good move on our part. What she charged for the sites in Botswana was not very expensive.

Anyway our route was:

Joburg to Waterberg to Kama Rhino Sanctuary to Maun (B and B) then 2 nights in Moremi and 2 nights in Savute

We then went to Kasane where we crossed in to Zim staying in B and B (The Old House -lovely)

and thence Vic Falls Hotel for one night. we should have had 2 it was amazing.

At Kapula we had 3 lovely nights in pre erected tents with en suite and a communal kitchen- Absolutely superb, with every detail thought of.

Then down to Nata and then Joburg

You will have a wonderful time. We saw Main Camp and thought it was rather run down.

All the things we were concerned about did not materialise -i.e. Zim Police,getting stuck in sand, theft etc.

Don't however underestimate the distances- they are long and some roads between Maun and Moremi bad.

If you would like to know more happy to help.

Enjoy the planning !!

D Taylor