We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time Hwange, help with planning

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
77 posts
19 reviews
7 helpful votes
First time Hwange, help with planning

Hi,

We would like to visit Hwange May 2016. This will be part of our trip from Joburg to Chobe and then Hwange and back to Joburg. We will be combining 4*4 self driving, roof tenting with lodging (200-400usd per night). We are planning about 4 days in this park. What are the accommodations options available within this range and how is the game viewing end of May. Does the weather conditions are good for roof tenting and self driving. Is there an exit point from Hwange to Botswana from South of national park? Very much appreciate your advice in forhand.

Northampton
Level Contributor
43 posts
13 reviews
7 helpful votes
11. Re: First time Hwange, help with planning

Sorry

I meant to suggest this website where I got a lot of information from.

Absoluitely brilliant.......

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum

You will love this in those dark Danish winters !!!! and the fuel in Bots at Eu60c a litre !!!!!

Derek Taylor

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
77 posts
19 reviews
7 helpful votes
12. Re: First time Hwange, help with planning

Thank you taylorclan5 :) I contacted Kapula. That is also our first choice. Our plan is very similar to yours but we have less time, which is my concern. We do like driving and it is part of the experience but it has to be realistic. We were planning our first night near Martin drift boarder from SA side. Is there a long waiting at border crossings? 2nd night at elephant sand (lodge). 3rd night (Chobe) 4th, 5th and 6th Savute camping. Rest I am not sure, we have 12 nights in total. What is you experience regarding wild life compare to Botswana (Moremi, Chobe, Savute) and Hwange? We have rent 4x4 with Bushlore 3 times before, so we are confident in there service. Thank you in advance.

Edited: 13 December 2015, 15:04
Northampton
Level Contributor
43 posts
13 reviews
7 helpful votes
13. Re: First time Hwange, help with planning

Hi

OK see what you mean, the travelling across Bots is long but roads are excellent.

My advice is that staying near Martins Drift is better than what we did. Martins Drift to Elephant Sands is around 5-6 hours (bad traffic around Francistown).

Savute and Moremi were disappointing re wildlife and actually are quite inaccessible. My wife is a good traveller but she found the sand roads hard work.With hindsight we wished we had spent more time around Chobe. So, suggest you miss out Moremi and perhaps go to Savute or Linyanti only if time is limited.

A good site near Elephant Sands is Nata Lodge (with pool) and inexpensive. We had a lovely night there.

Ask as many questions as you like -happy to share our experience.

We drove to Salen in Sweden from the UK one Christmas once so we are intrepid road trippers !!

Derek

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
77 posts
19 reviews
7 helpful votes
14. Re: First time Hwange, help with planning

My husband visited Botswana 7 years ago (only 4nights included in a trip to SA, Namibia and Botswana/Victoria falls) but this is the first time for me. He was also not impressed by Moremi and this is why we thought going to Chobbe and Savute. Your experience also confirms that it is fine that we skip that area. I don’t mind skipping Okavango delta experience. I think the eco system there is much more fragile for tourism and as a scientist it is difficult to justify spending time there.

Which time of the year you were in Botswana/Zim? I am thinking after camping to have one night at Victoria falls and then drive to Hwange. I was at Igacu falls a few months ago, and Esben has already at Victoria Falls in his previous trip so we will limit our time there. Hwange is a first time for both of us. I have been reading different trip reviews on the website for 4x4 (your link) and will try to combine with camping sites recommended by others and Kapula. After Hwange did you take the road via Bulawayo down to Joburg or? Trying to figure out how long it will take back to Joburg? Out flight is in the evening around 23. Thank you again for taking time to share your experience.

Northampton
Level Contributor
43 posts
13 reviews
7 helpful votes
15. Re: First time Hwange, help with planning

We left Kapula at 6 just after sunrise breakfasting at Robins then crossed the border at Pandamatenga and down to Nata. Gravel road to border.

We arrived at Nata at 3 after shopping. The border crossing was easy -about 30mins.

We wish we had seen more of Zim rather than Moremi. Actually the border crossing in to Zim was hassle free ,about an hour (210 USD with various Taxes and 2 Visa Fees)

I think it would be a long way to Martins Drift but with 2 drivers you might just do it.

Derek

Northampton
Level Contributor
43 posts
13 reviews
7 helpful votes
16. Re: First time Hwange, help with planning

oops-Sorry we were in Bots/Zim first two weeks of November ,all completely dry.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
77 posts
19 reviews
7 helpful votes
17. Re: First time Hwange, help with planning

Thanks taylorclan5 for the info. End of May will be green I suppose.

Northampton
Level Contributor
43 posts
13 reviews
7 helpful votes
18. Re: First time Hwange, help with planning

To be truthful I am not sure....

It should be as this would normally be Harvest time. Our one regret is we did nt see more of Zim and I guess your route would be down to Beitt bridge via Bulawayo..... so you will see more than we did.

Derek

19. Re: First time Hwange, help with planning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2016, 00:17