We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Funds and malaria protection for 3 days in Victoria Falls

Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
92 posts
50 reviews
Funds and malaria protection for 3 days in Victoria Falls

Two of us will be in Victoria Falls for 3 nights in March. Our accommodations and one full day trip to Chobe are prepaid. How much USD are required for incidentals? Would it be better to pay for dinners with a VISA card so we don't have to carry so much cash?

Do we need malaria medicine to take this trip?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Victoria Falls...
Level Contributor
232 posts
1. Re: Funds and malaria protection for 3 days in Victoria Falls

Yes you can pay for your dinners using visa card, and you can also carry a few dollars to use were you can't use a visa card. As for malaria, you can carry mosquito repellent to avoid mosquito bites. The mosquitoes that are here, they don't cause malaria.

Enjoy your stay

Victoria falls EMMANUEL TAXIS

Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
92 posts
50 reviews
2. Re: Funds and malaria protection for 3 days in Victoria Falls

Thank you for your information.

Ed

Telford
Level Contributor
7 posts
86 reviews
3. Re: Funds and malaria protection for 3 days in Victoria Falls

Hi,

My husband and I have just returned from Livingstone-Zimbabwe- Botswana, we were travelling from U.K. Medical advice was to take a course of Malaria tablets..I think it was 2 days before entering Zambia continue taking medication during our stay and then 7 days after returning home..

United States
Level Contributor
1,119 posts
68 reviews
4. Re: Funds and malaria protection for 3 days in Victoria Falls

The mosquitoes in Zimbabwe don't cause malaria? It's supposedly the 3rd highest cause of death. I wouldn't go there without taking malaria pills, especially around the falls. You need to talk to a travel doctor. I think emanueltaxis is being facetious.

Bring USD in small bills as well. You may or may not have a problem getting money out of ATMs while you are there.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,871 posts
45 reviews
5. Re: Funds and malaria protection for 3 days in Victoria Falls

Definitely take antimalarial pills in Vic Falls. I am ex Zimbabwean and a doctor and would not take the risk. I will be there in a few weeks from the UK and will be taking malarone, although have been advised by colleagues that doxycycline is also effective.

australia
Level Contributor
363 posts
98 reviews
6. Re: Funds and malaria protection for 3 days in Victoria Falls

We are in VF now and can't get any Us Dollars. ATMs do not have them. Banks won't issue them. Credit cards can be used, but you will need to bring US dollars.

Carrollton, Texas
Level Contributor
223 posts
5 reviews
7. Re: Funds and malaria protection for 3 days in Victoria Falls

I would most definitely take malarial medication in Victoria Falls! On my trip that's where I got the majority of my mosquito bites. I don't know if the mosquitos there are different but these ones made me very sick and the bites swelled up so big.

Victoria Falls...
Level Contributor
232 posts
8. Re: Funds and malaria protection for 3 days in Victoria Falls

Hi all, prevention is better than cure, you can take malaria vaccine and also bring mosquito repellent to avoid bites. Zambezi region is known for its mosquitoes and malaria 'But' this side in Victoria falls, the mosquitoes that are here they are not ANOPHELES mosquitoes that causes malaria. But I insist prevention I better than cure.

Most welcome all

9. Re: Funds and malaria protection for 3 days in Victoria Falls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 April 2018, 00:16