We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

airport connection query

Cork, Ireland
2 posts
airport connection query

Hello,

I am due to fly out of Vic falls to Nairobi via Johannesburg in a few days. I only just noticed that we only have about 1 hour 50 minutes between arrival and departure and the first leg is with British Airways and second with Kenya Airways so pretty sure we will have to claim baggage and do check in etc etc. has anyone else done this in such a short time? Im really worried we won't make our connection...any advice would be welcomed!

3 replies to this topic
london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
5,860 posts
1. Re: airport connection query

I would find out for sure if you do have to collect luggage and recheck in, as that will make all the difference. How did you book the tickets? If they were booked together as one journey, you shouldn't have to collect luggage and recheck in. If you booked them separately, I'm not sure how you could have "only just noticed" the connection time.

If they are separate tickets and you have to collect luggage and check in, then the check in for your second flight will close at some point- maybe 45 mins, maybe an hour before departure- you need to find this out. This will then tell you how much time you have to disembark, clear immigration, collect luggage and get to your check in. You might want to consider booking a meet-and-greet fast track service.

Even if they are separate tickets, it is still possible you may be able to check your luggage through if the airlines have an arrangement (eg I have done this with BA and Air Botswana), but again, you need to check with them.

Cork, Ireland
2 posts
2. Re: airport connection query

Thank you! I booked through an agent, hence "only just noticing." I've been in touch with them & they gave me very similar advice so thank you! fingers crossed all will be fine!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
822 posts
41 reviews
3. Re: airport connection query

If its one ticket... the airline would not allow such a tight connections if they didnt think it was possible...

If the agent has booked 2 seperate tickets then it might be tight...

It took me an hour to get off the plane, collect bags, go through customs / immigration / security when i landed at Joburg last year... if you had the same wait it would leave 50 minutes for your second flight which I think is not enough,..

Reply to: airport connection query
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted