We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

USD for 3days

Port Stephens...
Level Contributor
652 posts
14 reviews
USD for 3days

Hi

Hoping i can get some help here please. Have done a search but not many recent posts (& i have been stalking this forum for a while gathering info - thank you :-). )

Heading off in a couple of weeks spending 6days in Botswana before enjoying 3 days in Vic Falls. Accommodation sorted, in the process of booking Livingstone Island & a sunset cruise, so that should all be paid for prior

Question is if we book a walking tour, visit lookout cafe (not sure if is in park or not?), general daily cost how many U$D do you think we might fly through? My understanding is there is an entry fee for each visit to the park i imagine that is included in a tour price?

We are 3, mum + 2 x teenage boys 15 & 17

Also I read that the $$ need to be 2007 +, is that still the case?

Just don’t want to be caught short (the value of the AUD$ At the moment isn’t helping much either lol)

Many thanks for any tips

(& yes I know how long is a piece of string, just looking for ballpark - cheers)

7 replies to this topic
Paisley, Scotland
Level Contributor
288 posts
112 reviews
1. Re: USD for 3days

Hi

I imagine you will only enter the park once. It is not huge and once you have spent a few hours there you’ve really done it. The only folk I know of who have returned at different times of day are photography enthusiasts.

There is an easy to follow path and you don’t need to book a walking tour to find your way around easily. A walking tour would no doubt give you more info that doing it yourself but I did it myself (solo male) and didn’t feel I missed out.

Lookout cafe is not in the park but is about 250m down a track opposite the park entrance. Prices there are higher than other places but it’s a nice spot for sure.

How much you spend really depends what else you do. If your kids want to do a few activities (canopy walk, zip slide, rafting or whatever) that can easily add hundreds of $! I would reckon meals won’t be much cheaper than Australia if you’re visiting the tourist places.

For prices of activities have a look at any of the websites of mainstream providers - Shockwave Adventures, Shearwater, Wild Horizons.

When I was there a couple of years ago taxis were €5 pretty much anywhere in central VF.

If you are doing Livingston Island / Devil’s Pool you can walk there easily enough. The entrance to the hotel is about 15 mins from the Zambia border.

Have fun!

Port Stephens...
Level Contributor
652 posts
14 reviews
2. Re: USD for 3days

Great, thanks David

I had forgotten about taxis too, will allow for that as I believe our hotel is in the suburban area out of the main town a bit

Cheers :-)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
823 posts
41 reviews
3. Re: USD for 3days

Fellow aussie who also visited last year... you will have a great time!

Entry fee's and restaurants, I paid them all with my credit card... Our hotel (and most do this) can also book activities you decide on while there onto your room and then charge you when leaving (again, credit card). Most businesses accept them just like australia. MC and VISA (AMEX at about 80%) is the preffered cards.

I used cash for tipping, and taxis. Oh, and for one or two souvenirs from smaller places and street vendors. Take plenty of small notes, 1's, 5's and 10's as they wont give change for 50's or 100's.

Taxis were a maximum of 5USD around town, I'd tip 5-10USD for the waiter at a restaurant where we got good service.

Edited: 17 September 2018, 21:36
Port Stephens...
Level Contributor
652 posts
14 reviews
4. Re: USD for 3days

Good to know that cards are widely accepted. Def planning on getting lots of small notes, i’m not very good at knowing when to tip though, just not our thing in Oz. Restaurants yes but not here there & everywhere. Am sure will get ghe hang of it

Thanks Steve :-)

United States
Level Contributor
1,119 posts
68 reviews
5. Re: USD for 3days

You don't really need newer bills, just don't bring ones that are tattered. Some of the bills there are completely unrecognizable, don't accept those as change. I would also stick with smaller denominations since change might be hard to come by. CC are definitely accepted. Stick with the local custom for tipping, ask your hotel for their suggestions. You can bargain with taxi drivers. Take a bit more than you think you'll need in case you do run short but for 3 days and only needing it for incidentals, I would think that a couple hundred would suffice..

Victoria Falls...
Level Contributor
136 posts
6. Re: USD for 3days

Hello, l would suggest $1000usd cash for 3 of you will be enough & the rest you can use visa or MasterCard. Please avoid USD with small heads those are the only USD notes that are note accepted.

3 night will be enough for you to do the falls, sunset cruise,the devil's pool & lookout. This will depend on how you have planned your program. The guided tour of the falls, normal it includes the entrance fee ($30) which is the highest park fee in town & other activities are less than the park fee for the falls.The park fee for the falls is a single entry if you come out & you want to go back again you have to pay again.

Lookout is not in the falls park but outside within some few metres from the falls where you don't need to pay for the park fee even though it's within Victoria National Park so the whole city as well.

NB:since you will be going for the devil's pool in Zambia,make sure you get Kaz or univisa ($50pp for the adults & for kids less than 18yrs you can get double entry=$45pp since they don't pay for visa on the Zambian side) on your way into Zimbabwe from Botswana. That will cover all of your border crossings between Zimbabwe & Zambia without more hustles.

God bless.

My Way Taxis Victoria Falls Zimbabwe.

Port Stephens...
Level Contributor
652 posts
14 reviews
7. Re: USD for 3days

Many thanks lorsecho & myway, for the considered responses. Will take that on board

Hoping we will get the univisa as we actually fly out if Livingstone!

Reply to: USD for 3days
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted