We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Victoria Falls Safari Lodge or the Royal Livingstone Hotel

Earth
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Victoria Falls Safari Lodge or the Royal Livingstone Hotel

We are planning to be going to see Victoria Falls for 4 days in June 2019 - one adult, two children (once in a lifetime trip:) and need to choose between the Victoria Falls Safari Lodge or the Royal Livingstone Hotel. The agent stated that the Lodge is quite touristy with busloads of people, while the Hotel is large but quieter. He also said that The Hotel is right on the water and one can see the spray, although the better view if from the other side. And is the Lodge on the river or walking distance to the Falls - the pictures do not seem to suggest that. So we would love to know about your experiences in both places and where would you suggest we stay??

Thank you very much!!

5 replies to this topic
Victoria Falls...
Destination Expert
for Victoria Falls
Level Contributor
942 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Victoria Falls Safari Lodge or the Royal Livingstone Hotel

I think the first question you need to ask yourself is which country do you want to stay in. The hotel is in Zambia and the lodge is in Zimbabwe. This has implications on which airport you are flying into and where you are going to do your activities. Transfers are possible between the two countries but it can be time consuming, costly and frustrating crossing backwards and forward over the border. Visas might be an issues unless you fit into the Univisa category

I would not describe safari lodge as touristy, it is a busy lodge but it is lovely all the same with a good view across the national park and onto a waterhole below the lodge, it is not on the river or within walking distance of the Falls but hourly bus shuttles take you into town which is 6kms away.

Royal Livingstone is quieter because Zambia is quieter, because more people are again opting for the Zimbabwean side. No disputing RL hotel is lovely with a great position on the river and with a view of the spray but my vote would be for Safari Lodge if I had to choose

Edited: 20 September 2018, 05:39
United States
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
68 reviews
2. Re: Victoria Falls Safari Lodge or the Royal Livingstone Hotel

You're asking in the Zimbabwe forum about whether you should stay in Zimbabwe or Zambia....The Royal Livingstone is in Zambia. It's a beautiful hotel which has a lot to offer including beautiful grounds, luxury rooms, a sundowner deck, relatively good restaurant, resident zebra and other animals that frequent the grounds including giraffes. It is right on the Zambezi with access to the falls. Depending on how the season goes, the Zambia side is the side for Devil's Pool that time of year and you can only do the Rhino walk from Zambia. There are plenty of activities on both sides as well but the ones limited to Zambia are only accessible from Zimbabwe if you have a visa to cross over and visas depend on where you're actually from other than "Earth" (funny). Can't speak for the Safari Lodge but I am sure others who have stayed there will also post about its attributes.

Edited: 20 September 2018, 06:56
Earth
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Victoria Falls Safari Lodge or the Royal Livingstone Hotel

Hi, Thank you for your response unfortunately the Royal Livingstone doesn’t allow children

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
220 posts
284 reviews
4. Re: Victoria Falls Safari Lodge or the Royal Livingstone Hotel

Hi Sally - you could try the AVAANI next door? I think the residents share the facilities of the RL. It’s all in the same grounds in any case so you will still get the experience.

Earth
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: Victoria Falls Safari Lodge or the Royal Livingstone Hotel

Thank you for your reply!!

Reply to: Victoria Falls Safari Lodge or the Royal Livingstone Hotel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted