We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

food and fuel in VF

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
food and fuel in VF

We are planning to hire a 4x4 camper from VF to drive around Hwange in November.

I assume that the vehicle will be full to start but will it be easy to return it full?

Is there a supermarket where we can buy supplies for 7-10 days - food, beer etc?

7 replies to this topic
Province of Jaen...
Level Contributor
264 posts
16 reviews
1. Re: food and fuel in VF

Are you having in mind the current shortages or is this a general question?

If a general one, then yes and yes. There are supermarkets and fuel stations in Victoria Falls you can stock up before you leave and re-fuel when you get back.

If in reference to the current situation the answer will always be, don't know. Don't know if there will be fuel and don't know what food the supermarkets will still have - especially as you are asking about November and not tomorrow.

Sussex
Destination Expert
for Mana Pools National Park, Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,057 posts
58 reviews
2. Re: food and fuel in VF

As Mark has said, the current situation is difficult and it's impossible to predict 2-3-4 weeks hence.

I am not in Zim at present, but have friends who are (Harare rather than Vic Falls) and best guess going forward is that things are going to get worse before they get better.

In your situation, in the first place, I'd contact the company you are renting your vehicle from and ask them what the situation is like / their recommendation on how you should handle any anticipated supply issues.

Edited: 11 October 2018, 02:09
9 posts
3. Re: food and fuel in VF

Gill, Very long queues at the petrol station in VF this morning, which has no fuel but people are hoping for another delivery today or tomorrow. And it was crazy in the OK supermarket with people panic buying everything they can before the prices go up. I don't want to scaremonger but things are not looking good, even in VF which is relatively insulated from events elsewhere in Zim. So come prepared!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
4. Re: food and fuel in VF

Thanks for your speedy replies.

But this isn't good news for us.

We hope to be able to book next week but may leave the van until nearer the time. Maybe hire from Kasane and do Chobe / Moremi instead. We've been there before though and Hwange looks pretty good and somewhere new for us.

How are the many hotels and restaurants getting their supplies? I suppose that the places with safari vehicles and boats will have their own fuel tanks But fresh food must be difficult, especially for the high end places.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: food and fuel in VF

Hie I think it will be wise to book your trip with a touring campany that is if you want to have q smooth trip without stress. Currently Zimbabwe has no fuel only big touring company have cause they buy straight from supplier and as for the food it will be the company's responsible , I was in Victoria Falls on the 9th and I thank God for using an agent cause we really witness a horrible situation on travellers stuck on the road without fuel and food tryin to catch lifts in order for them to board on a flight. My advice please stay away from vehicle hire and consultant any touring company to make your stay in Zimbabwe memorable.

All the best

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
14,300 posts
172 reviews
6. Re: food and fuel in VF

We are flying to VF mid November and have hotel and one excursion booked. Then we are taking the train to Pretoria. All this is pre-paid.

Do you think restaurants will find ways to have food supplies?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
7. Re: food and fuel in VF

Thanks for the advice. The fun of a safari drive is finding the unexpected. Whether its a leopard in a tree, a dung beetle rolling down the road or a bateleur just looking amazing. If we self drive we have time to stop and look at things that sometimes tour trips don't bother with because there is a report of a big cat somewhere and so the equally interesting but sometimes perceived less important things aren't given enough time. Getting up at the crack of dawn isn't my idea of fun either I'd rather have a leisurely breakfast and then go out for a drive. In the past we've spent hours at a single waterhole packed with all sorts of animals while several tours came and went.

Its down to choice really, self driving is our choice for the reasons above.

There are several places in Hwange that we can camp and which also have a restaurant and bar so we are likely to be ok for food and beer. Its the fuel that I'm worried about.

The other option is to go to Chobe / Moremi but we've been there before and would like somewhere new to us.

Reply to: food and fuel in VF
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted