We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Johannesburg to Victorial Falls via Botswana

Johannesburg, South...
7 posts
Travel from Johannesburg to Victorial Falls via Botswana

We would like to travel from Johannesburg to Victoria Falls in Zim via Botswana - probably between 28 Dec 2011 to 9 Jan 2012. Anyone did this trip before? Please help. I will be travelling with my wife and two kids (aged 1 & 8yrs).

Our trip is planned as follows: 1). Joburg to Gaborone (sleep for 2 nights at Gaborone sun), 2). drive to Chobe National Park (sleep for 2 nights at Chobe Safari Lodge), 3) drive to Vic Falls (sleep for 4 nights at Elephant Hills Resort. Then drive back to Chobe, Gaborone then Johannesburg.

Edited: 10 February 2011, 09:03
Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
46 posts
89 reviews
1. Re: Travel from Johannesburg to Victorial Falls via Botswana

I have done this trip and I dont think you should go via Gaborone as it is much longer. My recommendation is for you to drive via Martins Drift Border and then perhaps overnight in Francistown. Drive to Chobe for an overnight and then proceed to Victoria Falls. You may use the same route back to Johannesburg

Johannesburg, South...
7 posts
2. Re: Travel from Johannesburg to Victorial Falls via Botswana

@Dolphin01, Thanks for your response.

alabama
Level Contributor
84 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Travel from Johannesburg to Victorial Falls via Botswana

This is an interesting idea..planning a trip in sept or oct...to the area...with 5 adults...how long a drive is this...and hw do you compare bostwana with the kruger area..

Victoria Falls...
Destination Expert
for Victoria Falls
Level Contributor
939 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Travel from Johannesburg to Victorial Falls via Botswana

We have done this trip multiple times. I would agree with Dolphin01 not to go through Gaborone, unless you need to for a specific reason. Gaborone to Chobe would be a very long drive.... close on a 1000km.

I would also travel through Martins drift border post from Joburg and then stay at Palapye in botswana - this is a drive of about 575 km. Overnight in Palapye, there are hotels or more rustic accommodation at camp itumela. Then Palaype to Kasane the next day which is about 650 km. Breaks the journey into easier sections.

Chobe to Vic falls is an easy drive no more than a couple of hours and 4 days there will be great. There is lots to do and see.

As you are going over Christmas and New Year I would make your bookings as soon as you can. This last season just gone there was not a single bed available in the Falls. They hold a huge new years eve party there which attracts thousands of people. This years is set to be even bigger than last years.

Johannesburg, South...
7 posts
5. Re: Travel from Johannesburg to Victorial Falls via Botswana

@BooPeel, thank you very much. Much appreciated.

Can you recommend a good hotel, BnB or lodge (at least 3*) in Palapye? Lastly, do we need to keep our fuel tank full?

Victoria Falls...
Destination Expert
for Victoria Falls
Level Contributor
939 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: Travel from Johannesburg to Victorial Falls via Botswana

Sorry can't recommend a good hotel as we always stay at Camp Itumela, which is self catering/ camping. But on the main road as you travel through Palapye (You cant miss it... on the right) is a 3 star hotel called Desert Sands Motel. It looks fine and if you do a Google search you can find a couple of good reviews on it.

Big new hotel was being built just before you enter Palapye,might be finished now, maybe someone else can let us know?

These days it's always seems to be a good idea to fill up with fuel whenever you can. I have known Fuel stations in Botswana to run out although this is not the norm, but it can happen. Zim has not had problems again until recently, fuel is a bit short. It would be a good idea to get an update closer to your time of travel. As things are ever changing, in Africa!!!

Johannesburg, South...
7 posts
7. Re: Travel from Johannesburg to Victorial Falls via Botswana

Thanks Boo. I am looking so forward to it.

Gaborone, Botswana
Level Contributor
6 posts
88 reviews
8. Re: Travel from Johannesburg to Victorial Falls via Botswana

May be worthwhile to drive the extra 160 km to FRancistown which has better hotels than palpye such as Metcourt Inn and cresta hotels

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
9. Re: Travel from Johannesburg to Victorial Falls via Botswana

Can anyone recommend a way of getting from Vic Falls to Jo'burg without flying? I've heard there are greyhound buses....?

Gaborone, Botswana
Level Contributor
6 posts
88 reviews
10. Re: Travel from Johannesburg to Victorial Falls via Botswana

There are two ways though both not so comfortable

1) trace by local bus from Victoria falls to bulawayo distance 400+km, then you can get a luxury coach of greyhounds calibre from bulawayo to joburg. Visit www.greyhound.co.za .Only one problem is the ever busy Beitbridge border post

(between zim and south Africa) can be a

real night mare

2)the other option is to go via Botswana's second city of francistown and then through the not busy martins drift border post into south Africa