We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip or more to Chobe from VF

Sydney, Australia
1 post
1 review
Day trip or more to Chobe from VF

Planning 2 days at VF in Jan 2012 probably to Zambia side as easier to fly there direct from CT where will be be. Then want to go to Chobe for possibly a night or 2 - should we pick up a guide in Livingston or book ahead - any recommendations? How far is the Okovanga swamp area from the Falls and would it be too much to incorporate that part as well - we have about 6 days total we can use

Thanks

Brno, Czech Republic
Level Contributor
3 posts
18 reviews
1. Re: Day trip or more to Chobe from VF

My advice is to fly to Vic Falls as the town is just on the falls - Livingstone is some 14 km away (except two expensive hotels, which are close). Going to Botswana is easier from VicFalls too and there is plenty of agencies who would help. From Livingstone you have either to traverse Zimbabwe, or take the Zambezi ferry at Kazungula, which is extremely time consuming. Also, the Zimbabwean side of the falls is much more impressive!

Okawango is not easily accessible from neither VicFalls nor Livingstone, I guess you would need some 3 days more. In Chobe you are guaranteed to see lots of animals (antelopes, elephants, buffalos, hippos, crocodiles...) and birds. With a bit of luck you can see lions too.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
38 posts
2. Re: Day trip or more to Chobe from VF

Hi Sue5250,

If you fly to Livingstone, Zambia you can do a cross-border transfer to Chobe. Wild Horizons are a good option. I would recommend that you book ahead of time that way you can relax and enjoy yourself without worrying about trying to arrange something while you are on holiday. Also if you can pre-pay that also helps so you don't have to carry the cash with you/or be worrying about budget etc while on holiday.

Wild Horizons in my experience are reliable and offer a good service.

Depends where in the actual Delta you are going but approximately 30 -45 minute flight in a small plane will get there.

I would probably say 2 nights at the Falls, 2 nights in Chobe and 2 nights in the Delta would give you a good overall experience of the area.

There is a useful map of Botswana/Chobe and Delta on the below:

mysafari.com/blog/chobe-101:-unravelling-the…

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
88 reviews
3. Re: Day trip or more to Chobe from VF

Hello Sue,

From Cape Town, you'll need to route via Joburg to get to Livingstone (LVI) or Victoria Falls Town (VFA). The timing of the flights to LVI/VFA means that you'll probably need to leave Cape Town pretty early (I recently flew CPT-VFA and my CPT flight departed at 0700 in order to connect with the flight to VFA in Joburg.)

In January, I would recommend focusing on the Okavango Delta from a game-viewing standpoint - as you will be travelling after the green season begins, there will be plenty of water in the back country pans and the game in the Chobe area will be quite widely dispersed. (This doesn't mean that you won't see anything, but it does mean that the ratio of time spent tracking animals versus observing them will be higher.) There's always permanent water in the Delta so this isn't a factor there.

With 6 nights total, I would recommend 2 nights in Victoria Falls (either side - personally I think the view from Zim is better but there is a much wider choice of accommodation on the Zambian side) and 4 nights in the Okavango at a mixed activity camp (which offers both land and water activities) such as Little Vumbura.

Flying from the Falls (either side) to the Okavango Delta is very straightforward. You would fly from either LVI or VFA to Kasane via light air transfer, and then from there to your camp in the Delta. Flying time is about 1 to 1.5 hours depending on the type of plane. Making the arrangements in advance will ensure that you don't need to sort out these logistics on the go (which can push prices up), and will also mean that you have the optimal choice of camps.

Cheers,

Julian

Owner, Timeless Africa

4. Re: Day trip or more to Chobe from VF

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2012, 00:37