We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tokkie Lodge

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
240 posts
14 reviews
Tokkie Lodge

Hi, my travel agent has booked me into Tokkie Lodge, it's the place the tour i'm going on starts from... But i can't find any reviews on here and basically nothing online either...?!

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
38 reviews
1. Re: Tokkie Lodge

We ended there after our Kumuka overland trip. It's a very basic place, bathrooms are yuk, but the staff are nice, and there are friendly dogs that hang around there. It seems to be an old house converted into lodgings which are quite expensive I think for what you get. Some of the group camped and some of us paid more to have a room, about $US24 for a room for 3 and $US30 for a double, after the Kumuka camping fee was taken off, I think a double is usually about $45 room only. Beds are hard and the rooms small (no facilities), with spiders and mosquitoes. After this one night we had booked into the Amadeus Gardens up the road, obviously more expensive but what we wanted, especially after camping for 3 weeks anyway! There is a Shoestrings backpackers down the road closer to town which has a bar etc, and other upmarket lodges in the other direction where we stayed. Other tours like Geckos and Intrepid stay in the the campground in town, although Tokkie is only about 10-15 minute walk from town (not safe at night), and a $3 taxi ride into town I would not stay there unless you can put up with it for one night only.

Edited: 02 October 2011, 22:35
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
240 posts
14 reviews
2. Re: Tokkie Lodge

Hi, Thanks for the review... The bad- I'm already booked in since I start my tour from there early morning and booked pre-tour accom when I booked the tour, they charged a steep AU$60 for a room, the good- it's only one night! Kumuka charged AU$35 for a one way transfer too and I've now discovered I wouldn't pay more than US$15 by taxi!! :( don't know if I'm looking forward to this trip as much now..

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
38 reviews
3. Re: Tokkie Lodge

The cheapest taxi we could find from town to the airport was $20, but sometimes they charge more when leaving from the airport as you have no choice, so maybe AU35 isnt too bad at least you won't be hassled. I think you'll find one night bearable, it is quite safe as they have locked gates like all the lodgings do. If you have time, walk into town and look around. Have something to eat at Mama's,there are some nice shops in that block, and markets over the road from there but not in plain sight. Entry to Vic Falls is USD30 cash only, better in the afternoon for the rainbows! I think the tours count the first day in Vic Falls too so you might havr time to do the helicopter ride, zip line or rafting, all cool.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
240 posts
14 reviews
4. Re: Tokkie Lodge

Thanks for your reassuring post Fiona... Can't believe its only 2weeks away now! :-) it will be great if I end up having time the morning if the tour too! I can't wait!

5. Re: Tokkie Lodge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2012, 00:16