We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

helicopter flight

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
274 posts
1 review
Save Topic
helicopter flight

Is it worth doing the helicopter flight in early late November?

Victoria Falls...
Destination Expert
for Victoria Falls
Level Contributor
833 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: helicopter flight

In short - yes the flight is always worth doing to see the Falls from a different perspective. The water level in November is very low, with the eastern cataract in Zambia almost completely dry. The Zimbabwe side however always has a good flow of water and is still impressive.

The flight gives you a good look at the Zambezi River above the Falls as well as the gorges below the Falls.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
274 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: helicopter flight

Thank you so much.

Which one is better, micro light or helicopter? I don't really care about taking pictures but the view. For the pictures I can download some online.:)

Edited: 21 October 2011, 16:27
Victoria Falls...
Destination Expert
for Victoria Falls
Level Contributor
833 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: helicopter flight

Two totally different experiences, but both excellent, and both give you good views of the Falls... depends on what you like. The microlight does fly lower and I guess you feel more like a Bird out there, but some people are a bit scared of that.

Micro light can only be done from the Zambian side, its not available on the Zimbabwe side. Helicopter can be done on either side but is slightly more expensive in Zambia than it is in Zimbabwe.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
274 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: helicopter flight

Thanks BooPeel for all the info. What is the trick of getting a front seat on the helicopter?

Victoria Falls...
Destination Expert
for Victoria Falls
Level Contributor
833 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: helicopter flight

In the 4 seater helicopter, possibly to walk out last, as they normally fill back 3 seats first, but they will arrange according to weight of passengers as well, so a bit hit and miss .

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
714 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: helicopter flight

it's always the lightest person, and yes, you get weighed before the flight

Hi BooPeel - say hi to Tony - we had a great trip (Thank you)

SafariInfo

http://www.woodsmall.com/

Dubai
Level Contributor
105 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: helicopter flight

My wife and I will be traveling to Victoria Falls in Zim side in June 2012. Is it a good time to take a helecoptor ride ?

I am very keen to taking pictures as I am a photographer as well. Can I get good pictures from the back seat as well if I cannot get a front seat.

brisbane
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: helicopter flight

depends on your weight and who you travel with. you must be under 10kilos and lightest normally goes in front. they will weigh you at chopper port. have just done flight in december with shearwater and it was spectacular

Dubai
Level Contributor
105 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: helicopter flight

Thank you for your reply. I think it will not be a bad idea to do it....It would be spectacular to see the falls from the hight... Any idea how they charge per person for a 25/30 mins ride ?

Victoria Falls...
Destination Expert
for Victoria Falls
Level Contributor
833 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: helicopter flight

Hi Hussain

25 min flight US$250 per person + US$10 national parks fee

12 min flight US$130 per person + US$10 national parks fee

If you package these together with a couple of activities it works out cheaper.