We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Debating bringing my DSLR camera. Would you?

Toronto
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Debating bringing my DSLR camera. Would you?

Hi everyone,

I leave next Monday morning for a 7D trek from Jo'burg through Botswana to Victoria Falls. We will be at a campsites throughout the trip with 3 nights at the Falls in total. For those who have been, are there many tourists hauling DSLR cameras about and would I be relatively safe in doing so? It would be on my back the entire time but I don't want to stand out as a target for theft

~Amanda

Amman, Jordan
Level Contributor
209 posts
60 reviews
1. Re: Debating bringing my DSLR camera. Would you?

Would I bring? Sure, why not. Like everywhere in the world, common sense prevails. Never leave it on the table while you go off doing something else, never leave it in someone else's care too unless you absolutely know the person ... I was once told "It's your job to remove temptation".

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
2. Re: Debating bringing my DSLR camera. Would you?

I would definitely take it with you. I hauled two of them across Africa for five weeks in my Tamarac pack so both my wife and I could have one to use. We thought it might be to hard to share one with so many amazing things to take pictures of. I saw lots of people with them out around their necks and they were not being bothered at all. As said above be smart about how and when you have it out and all should be fine. There will be so much to take pictures of, my wife and I took 7400 pictures over five weeks and could have taken many more.

Cheers,

Bruce

Toronto
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Debating bringing my DSLR camera. Would you?

Thanks for your responses, I'm so excited that we're leaving tomorrow :)

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
4. Re: Debating bringing my DSLR camera. Would you?

Have a wonderful and safe trip.

Cheers,

Bruce

London
Level Contributor
141 posts
68 reviews
5. Re: Debating bringing my DSLR camera. Would you?

I've read previous postings about having to check-in HAND luggage at J'Burg (i.e expensive camera equipment). Is this correct, as I fly out next week and am concerned for my equipment - obviously one of the main reasons for going is to take great photos - so would be devastated to lose it before I even got there.

Any opinions / advice or experience would be most welcome. Thanks

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
6. Re: Debating bringing my DSLR camera. Would you?

We flew out of Joberg via KLM to Amsterdam on our way home and did not have to check our hand luggage. I am not sure about local flights on some of the other airlines but others might have experience. I used a Tamarac bag to carry all of our camera gear and it just fits in carryon size so it was no problems to carry on although we did have to watch it on one of our flights that had a weight restriction so we ended up putting our big 100-400 zoom in my wifes carry on so we could meet the weight requirement.

Cheers,

Bruce

London
Level Contributor
141 posts
68 reviews
7. Re: Debating bringing my DSLR camera. Would you?

Thanks a lot for the info.

Yes this is the problem with these good lenses,they weigh a ton!

Hopefully this is universal, we fly into and out of J'Burg with SAA, but will take a spare camera bag incase we have to do some swopping about!

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
8 posts
8. Re: Debating bringing my DSLR camera. Would you?

We brought ours to Botswana and Victoria Falls, took the Helicopter ride and glad we had it, also was great in Botswana, made such a difference, can see the taste buds in the lions mouth when it roared and yawned, crystal clear, but never let it out of my sight, as with everything else. On the flight from maun to the safari camps in Botswana, there is a 12kg (25 lb) weight limit, camera and gear and a few pieces of clothing, what is the reason you are coming to Africa for anyways... no fashion shows, just photos! :-) Brought several lenses, the 80-200 old Nikon lens weighs a ton, but love that lens!!!

London
Level Contributor
141 posts
68 reviews
9. Re: Debating bringing my DSLR camera. Would you?

You HAVE to take your DSLR - I wa concerned about the weight factor - but fortunately had no problems whatsoever! We did take a spare camera bag to transfer gear to incase it was necessary - but it all went smoothly!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
1,339 reviews
10. Re: Debating bringing my DSLR camera. Would you?

Yes to camera. Sometimes u check bigger hand luggage on smaller planes with limited bins but I never had to. U have to have a good camera on such a great trip ( and lenses)