We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Livingston Zambia v Victoria Falls Airport

New York
Level Contributor
425 posts
108 reviews
Livingston Zambia v Victoria Falls Airport

I think I have figured this out but would appreciate comments. We are a group of four traveling in early October 2016. The airfare from JNB to Livingston rtp is $358 and JNB to Vic Falls is $576. If we add the extra visa cost of $80 the Livingston cost is $438. We can book a shuttle or take two taxis (one to the Zam/Zim border) and the border to the hotel for approximately $30 per person. I have booked a hotel in Zim near the bridge the N1 so we can walk across the bridge?

The taxi fare from VF airport is approximately the same. So at the end of the day it's about $140 cheaper to fly in and out of Livingston?

14 replies to this topic
Harare, Zimbabwe
Level Contributor
5 posts
14 reviews
1. Re: Livingston Zambia v Victoria Falls Airport

Hi there, the cheaper the better. That's my belief! The less money you spend on transport, the more you will have to enjoy at your destination. I don't know if the drive will be more "glamorous" from Livingstone but once you're in the city of Vic Falls, the atmosphere will drown how you got there.

Victoria Falls...
Level Contributor
454 posts
13 reviews
2. Re: Livingston Zambia v Victoria Falls Airport

If you are flying out of Livingstone it will then be expensive as you will need a double entry visa for Zambia.

I will say no to fly to Livingstone as the taxis will cost you $30 to the Zambian boarder and you will need to get another taxi inbetween two country and this will be too much on changing cars with all your bags.

You will waist a lot of time as first you will wait in Livingstone airport to get your visas, get to the border wait again getting your passport stamped and lastly in Zimbabwe boarder buying Zimbabwe visas.

i know a company that can take you from from Livingstone airport to Zimbabwe boarder for $40. Let me know if you you need help with that.

Philani Moyo (Owner)

Shockwave Adventures

Vic Falls

New York
Level Contributor
425 posts
108 reviews
3. Re: Livingston Zambia v Victoria Falls Airport

I revisited it over the last few days and think we will fly one-way to Livingston and the other via VFA. Believe it or not it is cheaper to fly to Livingston and out of VFA. Then it is only the extra $50 per person. So I think that's what we will do. We are booked at the N1 at VFA which I believe is near the bridge? Is the $40 taxi from Livingston to the Bridge for four people?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
7 posts
15 reviews
4. Re: Livingston Zambia v Victoria Falls Airport

Hi Sandie - We are also flying into Livingstone and out of Victoria Falls, except in 2018. Please let me know how this works out for you. We are also staying at N1.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
70 reviews
5. Re: Livingston Zambia v Victoria Falls Airport

Sandie-NY has probably return from her trip long ago! but would be nice to hear what did she end up doing

Edited: 09 May 2017, 03:25
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
7 posts
15 reviews
6. Re: Livingston Zambia v Victoria Falls Airport

Thanks, travmole: Yes, of course, you're right. Please excuse typo of "works" for "worked."

Victoria Falls...
Destination Expert
for Victoria Falls
Level Contributor
934 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: Livingston Zambia v Victoria Falls Airport

Hi HappyChick, this post was started in May 2016 and a lot has changed since then, so you cant really utilise the infornation. There is now one single visa that you as US passport holders can get (a Kaza Visa) for $50 which covers your entry back a forth between Zimbabwe and Zambia as many times as you like. Airfares and airlines have also dramatically changed since then and would therefore have to be relooked at.

Maryland
Level Contributor
9 posts
26 reviews
8. Re: Livingston Zambia v Victoria Falls Airport

Excellent information

Thank you

1 post
9. Re: Livingston Zambia v Victoria Falls Airport

WHY dont you book this through a travel agent and have

it done correctly for a cost of about $50 per person you

get the best advise and someone who knows what they are doing