We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chiefs Island

Cupertino...
Level Contributor
92 posts
144 reviews
Chiefs Island

We have booked Botswana for CY2019 August for our family (4 people). We have two additional days at the beginning of our trip and Chief's island looks interesting - However the accomodations like the Chief's camp, Mombo are very much on the highest side - I am looking for accomodations one level below - any advice . Our current trip includes lebala, lagoon and Splash

Looking for suggestions in locations for 2 days to complement the above

11 replies to this topic
Holly Springs...
Level Contributor
57 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Chiefs Island

No advice about your question. We were at Lagoon, Lebala and Splash in July 2018 and had a wonderful time. You could not pick better places. I am sure you and your family will have wonderful time.

Maun, Botswana
Level Contributor
246 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Chiefs Island

There are quite a few options, Oddballs Camp if you are looking to fly in, or even a motor boat trip from Maun and camping on Chiefs Island, Its a great 4 hour trip by boat and then walking on Chiefs.

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
5,860 posts
3. Re: Chiefs Island

I would maybe look for something a bit different. Like a water activity camp in the delta, or a Chobe houseboat. Although it's a shame the 2 days aren't at the end of the trip as I always think the more relaxing, water activities would be nice after you've spent lots of time bumping around in a vehicle.

Or you could go down to one of the desert camps. Kwando have Nxai or Tau pan.

Or you could spend a couple of days at Victoria Falls.

Cupertino...
Level Contributor
92 posts
144 reviews
4. Re: Chiefs Island

Stokeygirl - thanks for the great advice as always - We have seen Victoria falls

I looked at the desert camps - Tau camp was good but it is not the season - would we see any animals at all? from a desert camp experience, I have been to Namibia and spent time at Sossussvlei

Cupertino...
Level Contributor
92 posts
144 reviews
5. Re: Chiefs Island

Lancer- glad to get some real feedback ; How were the camps - especially splash

Cupertino...
Level Contributor
92 posts
144 reviews
6. Re: Chiefs Island

Anton, Thanks - I will definitely look into it -is there any specific camp you recommend or a region of Chielfs Island

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
5,860 posts
7. Re: Chiefs Island

What is it that interests you about Chief's Island? How do you think it will be different to Splash, for example? If you are drawn to it because of its reputation for high density of game, I think you might find that is only in the areas where the uber expensive camps are located. If you want to go down a notch in price with great game viewing then you are already going to Splash- the other option I'd suggest would be Chitabe. Or possibly one of the new camps near that like Gomoti Plains.

I haven't been to the desert areas in August, but it would be more about different scenery and different animals rather than quantity of game. But if you feel you've "been there, done that" with Namibia, then that's your call, although I don't really think Sossusvlei is comparable to the Central Kalahari. But the desert areas wouldn't be my first suggestion- personally I have always quite fancied the Chobe houseboats, but whether that would fit would depend what order you are doing your camps in. If you are going out to Lagoon/Lebala first it could work. If Splash is first, then you'd be better off adding something in the delta.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
2,457 posts
347 reviews
8. Re: Chiefs Island

If you want a reasonably priced lodge I suggest that you consider Sango. I just stayed there and just loved it. it may be located in a somewhat more crowded concession,but it offers a superb wildlife experience as well as wilderness vibe.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,638 posts
29 reviews
9. Re: Chiefs Island

trackssafaris.co.uk/lodges/botswana/moremi-c…

Check out Moremi Crossing and it wont break the bank and offers walking tours via mkoros to Chiefs just across the way. We saw lion during that excursion and their chalets are in a excellent location ,right on the Boro River and if you want excitement, eles 3 feet away from your deck during the day and most likely after dinner,on the way back to your chalet so you might have to wait 20 -30 minutes on the pathway as they move through. Fantastic !

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
1 post
111 reviews
10. Re: Chiefs Island

Without knowing your exact itinerary - have you considered adding those nights to the camps you're already staying at? All of those locations and camps are excellent, and rather than packing / unpacking and going to another location for just two days, you might want to consider extending your stay at the camps you've already booked. Personal preferences obviously vary on this, but I for one think 3 nights is just about 'enough' at any of these camps.

Reply to: Chiefs Island
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted