We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

currency

London, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
currency

What currency can I use in the airport? US dollars, or is UK pounds accepted also? Thank you. Is there also free wifi in the airport?

11 replies to this topic
Antananarivo...
Level Contributor
132 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: currency

Don't count on Wifi.

USD and Ethiopian Birr.

Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
for Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Level Contributor
4,265 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: currency

Have small dollar notes if poss.

3. Re: currency

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 18 June 2017, 15:57

Level Contributor
734 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: currency

The airport doesn't offer free public wifi but last time I was there I noted one internet cafe in international transit/departures that looked expensive. Good for emergencies I guess.

The shops and restaurants accept US dollars but as noted you may not get USD change for a large bill. They may only offer birr.

Edited: 18 June 2017, 10:27
5. Re: currency

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 18 June 2017, 10:57

London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: currency

OK, thanks so much! Appreciate the advice!

Joy

Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
for Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Level Contributor
4,265 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: currency

Yes there is indeed an internet cafe in T2 departures now, and a Chinese Restaurant!!

London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: currency

Thanks a lot for the advice!

London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: currency

Is it expensive in the airport, or moderate?

Thanks a lot!

Antananarivo...
Level Contributor
132 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: currency

It depends.

Some souvenirs for example are ridiculously overpriced, coffee is 3 times more expensive than in Addis but for someone coming from London it still may be cheap.

People reported here that they thought the perfumes were cheap, I honestly can't remember the prices.

Reply to: currency
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Addis Ababa