We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ok for solo female travellers?

Level Contributor
109 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Ok for solo female travellers?

Hi all,

I'm hoping to make use of Ethiopian's flights from Dublin this year and wanted to spend a couple of days in Addis Ababa on my way to Beijing. I'll be travelling on my own so am wondering if it is an ok place to be as a solo female traveller (I'm 27) or would I be better off travelling with a friend? I've got a bit of experience travelling on my own so know to have my wits about me etc, but it'll be my first time in Africa. Where is good to go in Addis Ababa and is it easy to meet other travellers? Also what is the best month to visit there?

Any info would be much appreciated! Thanks so much in advance :)

Mentioned in this post
Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
for Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Level Contributor
5,337 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ok for solo female travellers?

It is very safe..see post today on Thorntree Ethiopia from solo female.

Addis very wet July to Sept. So better Oct to Feb.

Try looking at things to do for Addis on here.

Mentioned in this post
Level Contributor
109 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ok for solo female travellers?

Thanks for the reply! I'll check it out now. Good to know about the rainy season too!

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
581 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ok for solo female travellers?

Absolutely fine for female solo travellers.

Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
for Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Level Contributor
5,337 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ok for solo female travellers?

Gre..if u r planning a trip get a copy of Bradt Guide to E 7th edition.

Will also send you a message.

Level Contributor
1,522 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ok for solo female travellers?

It's safe but you'll get some creative pick up attempts, not unlike what you'd see in many nations outside Europe.

Level Contributor
109 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ok for solo female travellers?

Thanks for that!

Coniston, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ok for solo female travellers?

I can echo posts by others that Ethiopia is not only 'safe' for solo female travelers but friendly and comfortable too. I am female aged 62. This my first visit to Africa, Ethiopia the first country where I don't have a basic grasp of the language. I have traveled by local minibus between several towns, found people keen to help if needed - suggesting what I should pay for a tuktuk!

Mentioned in this post
8. Re: Ok for solo female travellers?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2018, 00:17
Get answers to your questions about Addis Ababa