We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to transit Addis Ababa?

Kuala Lumpur...
1 post
Is it safe to transit Addis Ababa?

I have no idea what Ethiopia is like. I'm a paranoid South African - we live in fear for our lives all the time. I lost my brother to criminals in South Africa. So I know it's more dangerous in my home country than Ethiopia. Still, losing my brother has made life really difficult and scary! So I am just really cautious about where I go. I just want to know if it's safe to transit through Addis Ababa and if Ethiopian Airlines is safe. I've read about hijackings in the past and I'm not familiar with the way things are politically in Ethiopia. Please let me know if it's safe?

6 replies to this topic
Lalibela, Ethiopia
Level Contributor
124 posts
20 reviews
1. Re: Is it safe to transit Addis Ababa?

Ethiopia is totally safe! From 2017-2018 only Ethiopia air had 10 million passangers. Our Airports are the safest.

If you have enough time, you could go out and exore Addis.

Sorry about the loose of your brother

Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
for Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Level Contributor
5,480 posts
83 reviews
2. Re: Is it safe to transit Addis Ababa?

Yes its perfectly safe. Around 9 million people do so each year.

Ethiopian is now universally accepted as the best airline in Africa.

It has by far the most modern fleet of any African airline.

The bad news is that its growth from 2m passengers in 2004 to 10 million in 2017 means Addis airport is very crowded in the two rush hours which are mainly 6-9 a.m and same p.m.. as EAs hub operation means most of its fleet of 737s 777s 787s and Airbus 350s all fly in from all over the world in those hours, and then fly out again...

but you have nothing to worry about.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
635 posts
3. Re: Is it safe to transit Addis Ababa?

Concur with the others, very safe. No worries.

Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
for Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Level Contributor
5,480 posts
83 reviews
4. Re: Is it safe to transit Addis Ababa?

see

https:/…201808210003.html

Udon Thani, Thailand
Level Contributor
32 posts
126 reviews
5. Re: Is it safe to transit Addis Ababa?

Ethiopian Airlines is very good, the airport can be chaotic, make sure you have plenty of time to go through security, not a pleasant experience.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
2,454 posts
346 reviews
6. Re: Is it safe to transit Addis Ababa?

I was just recently in Ethiopia and have to say that it's a very safe airport. Please don't worry. I would agree that you'll need time to get through security.

Reply to: Is it safe to transit Addis Ababa?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Addis Ababa