We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellow Fever Vaccine availability at airport

1 post
2 reviews
Yellow Fever Vaccine availability at airport

I'm told that you can Yellow fever vaccinations at the airport in Addis. Is this correct. I'm travelling from the U.S to Addis for 6 days then on to Delhi. The travel clinic in my area is a good distance from me, and it would seriously be convenient to get the vaccine when I arrive in Addis. I have two concerns: 1. the safety standards at the airport and 2. the availability of vaccine. I'd hate to get there and it's not available, since I'd run the risk of getting quarantine in India which would be my whole vacation.

23 replies to this topic
Addis Ababa...
7 posts
1. Re: Yellow Fever Vaccine availability at airport

The only place in Addis for Yellow fever vaccination is in Black Lion Hospital. it will take him less than 15 minutes. I took two weeks ago cost is less than 10 USD still.

2 posts
1 review
2. Re: Yellow Fever Vaccine availability at airport

Thank you. Really appreciate the info.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
741 posts
3. Re: Yellow Fever Vaccine availability at airport

You can't get it done at the airport. Who told you that you could, your local health authority? Safety at the airport is fine by the way.

Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
for Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Level Contributor
5,966 posts
85 reviews
4. Re: Yellow Fever Vaccine availability at airport

Yes also agree that as fast I know there is no facility for YF vaccination at Bole Airport

YF jabs at Black Lion are safe and cheap. When I had mine done there in 2010 they were offering meningitis jab free at same time.

Unless it has changed. You go in at the top gate..ie top of hill opposite SIM compound..ie go up the hill from traffic lights at north end of Central Post Office.

Once inside turn sharp left and follow perimeter fence to correct building.

Edited: 14 September 2018, 02:29
2 posts
1 review
5. Re: Yellow Fever Vaccine availability at airport

Thank you for the directions. I made it to Black Lion and it turned out I didn't need the shot since I'd gotten it 1995. It's a lifetime vaccination. For anyone else reading this thread the cost was 22 BIRR.

Zoutleeuw, Belgium
Level Contributor
5 posts
68 reviews
6. Re: Yellow Fever Vaccine availability at airport

I wouldn't do that if I were you. You can get pretty sick from the vaccine as they inject alive virus. Furthermore, the vaccine needs to be kept in perfect conditions. If not, the virus dies and the vaccine is worthless.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
7. Re: Yellow Fever Vaccine availability at airport

do i need to have a yellow vaccination for 48hrs in addis? we are arriving from seychelles and departing to the US...

Thanks!

Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,966 posts
85 reviews
8. Re: Yellow Fever Vaccine availability at airport

No

.unless you plan to go to South Africa in the future.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
9. Re: Yellow Fever Vaccine availability at airport

thanks - i was thinking of doing the e-visa, but i think the voa will be just fine...

Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,966 posts
85 reviews
10. Re: Yellow Fever Vaccine availability at airport

If you are arriving in rush hour eg 0700...0800

E visa MAY cut visa Q from 30 to 5 minutes.

Reply to: Yellow Fever Vaccine availability at airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted