We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buduburam refugee camp

Which Accra hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kuantan, Malaysia
2 posts
Save Topic
Buduburam refugee camp

Hello,

I have a friend who has been contacted by a female claiming to be Liberian refugee living in Buduburam Refugee Camp who do not want to return to Liberia . She claims she is being helped by a man who is helping them buy tickets and visa to go to Norway for resettlement . They tell her the camp closed at end of September. My friend is giving a large portion of her income to help them. I searched through internet and cannot find much regarding the closure of this camp but found that this camp was suppose to close in 2008-2009. She has been sending money for past one year. I have tried convincing her that this is a scam , she still think it may not be. For those who have travel to Accra, can you tell me does this camp still exist or not . Has all Liberian refugee been relocated. Usually UN relocates them before closing the camp, right? need some strong evidence to give to my friend. Those who know anything please help

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,403 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buduburam refugee camp

This is definitely a scam. The refugees at the camp are taken care of by the UN. The camp was supposed to have closed and the remaining refugees were being resettled in their home country by yhe UN with monetary help.

It is unfortunate how people can use unfortunate situations to manipulate others people. I am sure most of the refugees are decent humans. Some got education and got jobs. I personally knew of a few who sort to various dubious ways to scam others both local and foreign.

My own Ghanaian mother gave very expensive and decent housing to some of the refuges for free so they can integrate better into Ghanaian environment but they abused it.

I had to go to Ghana to get them off my old momther and stop them from abusing the privileges. The UN was giving them more money per month than the average working Ghanaian made. They had free housing and medical service, free education and job skills training and yet they were requesting for more money, they wanted it in dollars not in the local currency.

There is a Liberian woman, whom I know personally, in the U.S. whose Liberian husband was at this camp. She wants to bring him over to the U.S. but he does not want to. He is just satisfied with getting monthly remittance from the wife from abroad and spending it on a lavish lifestyle including marrying another Liberian woman, countless girlfriends and just not working but living a good life. My mother asked him why he is still in Ghana and he answered that he does not want the U.S. woman anymore and is just using her as his financial support. This woman has no idea what the husband is upto. Very sad situation.

This is clearly another variation of the I will marry you and the I need urgent help scam.

Tell your friend to read my reply . The situation in Liberia is calm now and there is no political unrest. Countries that use to recognise them as refugees are no longer accepting them because the UN is not treating them as refugees any longer.

Why is this Liberian not willing to use all this monetary help from your friend to settle back in Liberia and start some meaningful way of making a living? Call the Norwegian embassy and find out if they are accepting Liberian refugees or at lest find out from their website. If your friend want to really help someone in need they should donate to a reutable and decent charitable organisation that takes care of such people and even request they want to sponsor this particular person. World Vision is in Ghana. They could verify if this person and their need is real and through them your friend may be able to learn the truth.

I hope this helps.

Kuantan, Malaysia
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Buduburam refugee camp

Thank you , I will surely forward this message to her. Hope this will convince her. Thanks

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
318 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Buduburam refugee camp

Have her contact the UNHCR in Ghana as well to find out exactly what is going on. As mothergirl said, Liberians are no longer seen as refugees so your friend's friend is a scammer without a doubt.

Phoenix, Arizona
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Buduburam refugee camp

I have been writing to a lady that says she is living in Buduburam Camp for 9 years now she has been writting for weeks now and lately she says her friend's laptop was broken in an accident and wants to know if i will buy one and send it to her also she says she needs money for food ! am i being scammed

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,494 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buduburam refugee camp

Hi ron061, I have made over 3000 posts in TA and have helped countless people on TA. My notebook is also broke and I am using my friend's notebook to make this post. Will you buy me one so I can continue to help others? I don't need money for food though.

Likely a scam.

See www.romancescams.org

Save Reply
6. Re: Buduburam refugee camp

The UN has pulled out of the camp completely. They offered each Liberian 100. USD to return to Liberia. There are about 12000 remaining on the camp. I do not believe your friend is involved in a scam. I have friends on the camp that can check it out. I am the founder of a microlending project on the camp.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,494 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buduburam refugee camp

Don't send any money to anyone whom you have not personally met or verified. Many people will claim to be this or that, and it is hard to verify anything. Thats why scammers take advantage of this. Keep your hard earned money. You want to help someone use a recognized service like Kiva.org

Dover, Vermont
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Buduburam refugee camp

has the UN pulled out of the camp and what does this mean.. does it mean that the liberians are on there own with no supervision by the UN at all now..??? and also does anyone know the cost to rent dwellings in buduburam camp? any idea?? thank you..

Munich, Germany
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Buduburam refugee camp

Buduburam is a refugee camp located 44 kilometers (27 miles) west of Accra, Ghana. Opened by the UNHCR in 1990, the camp is home to more than 12,000 [1] refugees from Liberia who fled their country during the First Liberian Civil War (1989–1996) and the Second Liberian Civil War (1999–2003), in addition to refugees from Sierra Leone who also escaped from the ravages of their civil war (1991–2001). The camp is served by Liberian and international NGO groups and volunteer organizations. The UNHCR began pulling out of the camp in April 2007, slowly withdrawing all UNHCR-administered services; June 2010 was the official cessation of refugee status for the refugees in the settlement.

see Wikipedia

bristol
Level Contributor
31 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Buduburam refugee camp

Just back from 10 days in Kasoa , next to the camp , often eat at TripleX in Buduburam , the camp is now integrated into the local community , very few problems , peaceful quiet area , people just going about daily life , quite a success story , looks the same as everywhere else.

Get answers to your questions about Accra